Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta link to this article in Lodi about a beekeeper that lured and established colony out of a house in a matter of hours....Would love to hear some thoughts on this since IMO "it doesn't work that way"

http://www.lodinews.com/articles/2010/06/25/news/1_bees_100625.txt
6,000 bees removed from Downtown Lodi
By Layla Bohm
News-Sentinel Staff Writer

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

Comments (6 comment(s))
Thousands of bees were removed from Downtown Lodi by a beekeeper who lured them with honey and water, then scooped them up in a bucket.

The bees had taken up residency on School Street between Elm and Pine streets, in the same area where bees showed up one year ago.

Manuel Rojas, who has his own hives in Stockton, placated the bees with some honey placed on a second-floor windowsill on the east side of School Street. Then he used a spray bottle of water to further lure the bees.

He estimated that as many as 6,000 bees had gathered.

Rojas donned a hat and a netting to cover his face, then scooped up the bees that had clung to the side of the brick building.

"They're my prisoners now," he said with a laugh.

He's been in the beekeeping field for three years, though Rojas said he grew up around them. His goal is to expand his bee population by collecting more queen bees, which in turn attract worker bees.

Rojas has no fear of the bees, and he often doesn't wear netting over his face. He has no problem holding a bee on a finger, and said bees usually only sting if they are under pressure.

Bees typically swarm this time of year, looking for a place to start a hive.

Last year, bees took up residency on a tree branch until it broke under the weight on July 7. Thousands of disoriented bees swarmed into the street, and traffic had to be blocked until a beekeeper could arrive. He removed a large cluster in the street, along with the other half that remained in the tree.

C2

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sounds like he gathered a swarm instead of a "trap out"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well them news broadcasters have to make up a story and just hope that you will believe it!...HAHAHA :lpf:

He took care of the bees in the street and the other half in the tree!! He is the man!!!...:lpf:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...lured and established colony ..."
"...as many as 6,000 bees had gathered..."
"...collecting more queen bees, which in turn attract worker bees..."
typical media crapola. half-truths and misinformation.

·
Registered
388 Posts
sounds to me like someone is in a dearth, put some honey out, then picked up the bees that were taking the honey home.. lol. Definatley sounded like he knew he didn't have a queen.

I think the swarm was another story???

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The swarm in the tree was from last year on July 7th. I just think that doing a crummy job and getting praise for it is garbage, not to mention the front page of the paper! He knows he didn't get the colony and it gives people that are working hard at doing it the right way look bad. I have a guy I am working with that has bees in his wall and he is convinced that I should be able to do the same thing this guy did and be done in a day. His contractor said a guy did the same thing and had the bees out of his wall in a day. So I look like I'm running a scam or something when I tell them, this doesn't work. I'm ready to walk from the job. They can call this magical bee charmer.
We are not in a dearth here, things in the city are doing great as are any of the bees that are within the city limits, in the country 2+ miles outside of town, is a different story. I have bees in the country that are about 2.5 miles out and they are struggling...no one is watering anything out there. The bees inside the city limits are hard at work putting honey away like crazy. I love seeing the cover flowering in peoples yards right now. Water their lawns, they are watering the clover for the bees too. I guess driving thru the neighborhood at night and throwing clover seed on peoples lawns is paying off! J/K!
C2

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6000 bees does a colony over 1 year not make!:no:
Agreed. I would love to put the reporter in touch with someone from like UC Davis to get the facts rather than half truths. But getting someone qualified from UC Davis to return a call is almost impossible from the 2 attempts I have tried in the past. If I call, I'll probably just sound like a disgruntled beek that didn't get the job for Lodi, which is not the case. I just want people that read the paper to get a proper education on something that we all know and love. The press has done a decent job of educating the public on CCD for the most part. Most of my calls about swarms or bees in the wall mention the decline in bees over the past years, and how they don't want to call the pest company to kill them knowing that. However, the press also has a habit of running a story about something they know nothing about and don't find their own facts, they just run with what one person says as gospel and this particular time, it bothered me

C2

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
"...lured and established colony ..."
"...as many as 6,000 bees had gathered..."
"...collecting more queen bees, which in turn attract worker bees..."
typical media crapola. half-truths and misinformation.
Did they spell his name correctly? What do you expect from a non-beekeeper totally out of their element? We're lucky it wasn't a negative story about bees.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...What do you expect from a non-beekeeper totally out of their element?..."
i guess i'm showing my age, or perhaps its because i'm a tradesman, but i expect the reporter to report FACTS, and ask enough questions to get them, and to make notes to report correctly. that story sounded like someone "out of their element" writing the story from memory, not notes.
that said, i live outside of the 3rd largest city in my state, and the local daily paper has...1 reporter- and he takes his own photos. a reciept for error= overworked AND rushed. sorry if anyone was offended.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
No, Mike. You have every right to expect good and accurate reporting by intelligent and insightful reporters. But if you do expect those things, you are setting yourself up for a fall. You should try it some time and see how hard it is.

I learned not to expect much in the way of accuracy or understanding in print media or otherwise a long time ago in a past life in Colonial Williamsburg, Wmsb, VA.

We were working near The Governers Palace one day, digging around the base of a black walnut tree that had died in the Historical Area. We were doing this so we could then haul it down the road to The Carpentry Yard and Brick Yard and then cut the log of the tree w/ a pit saw to produce material for gun stock, which would be made by the Gun Smiths and sold at a premium price.

Any way, a reporter from the local newspaper came by and took photos and interviewed Roy Underhill, Master Carpenter, also of "The Woodwright's Shop" fame. When the full page article came out the reporter had said that "the log is being cut into walnut gun barrels". Gun barrels? No, you idiot. Gun STOCKS, not gun barrels. But she did spell all of our names correctly.

Thought you'd like that.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
No, Mike. You have every right to expect good and accurate reporting by intelligent and insightful reporters.
We had a reporter in our club for a while but after a conversation with me he moved to another club hummm was it something I said hummm

I had a young reporter from another local paper ask me if I would do an interview on bees and I said I would but he could NOT print untill I proof read it, haven`t heard from him and that was 2 years ago.

News papers sell papers not truth MOST of the time.

OK thats 2¢

1 - 15 of 15 Posts