Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

I want to move all my production colonies to out yards. One out yard is about 1.8 miles flight path from the current location. The bees would have to cross a river and other major landmarks to get back to the original sight. Do you think I will have a problem?

JoeMcc

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might just try it and see what happens. I will have a couple weak hives still in the apiary.

I would be moving them from my place to a spot almost to the sauk-suiattle tribe. Google earth says its 1.88 miles. I will also toss grass in front to get them to reorientate.

:)

Joe (Who Might Be Losing It)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I really need to move the bees out and make room for the packages. It's a whole lot easier to feed the hives when they are in the back yard. I think Im going to get 15 packages and make 5 nucs. that will give me 20 at the house. Now if the blackberries do something I will be in good shape. Also they fly up the hill for fireweed.

JoeMcc

·
Registered
760 Posts
they are 2.60 each - and then i buy the screen plugs from Betterbee for 1.40 each -

i switched from frame feeders to pails and so far im in favor of the pails - since i dont have to open the hive on rainy days to just check feed - i can check the pails at night with a flash light and see the syrup level

also no drowding bees - im in favor of that

so for 4 bucks each its cheaper then the other feeders

also i can fill the pails at the house and just drive to the hives and not have syrup spilled all over and i fill when i have time which is usually about 1 am

let me know if you want some of the pails

im getting 15 tommorow - i can get you some also

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do you have holes in the covers or place on the frames with a deep around it?

JoeMcc

·
Registered
760 Posts
i put a inner cover - most of mine i just made from plywood -
i drilled a 2 3/4 hole in them - ( that fits the small mouth mason jar lits perfect - that way i can put jars on if in a pinch

but anyhow i put the pail over the inner cover and a empty hive body over that then the cover -
but ive see where some dont even put the empty hive body over it

i think the empty body keeps the temperture even - that way the pail is less likely to burp form heating and cooling from the sun -

just make sure you place your queen off to the side of the hole - dont want her to drown if anyhing where to go wrong

i have a 2- inch bit to drill the pail lids if you want me to drill them for you if you deside to go this route

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Joe, move your bees, throw grass over the entrance as you mentioned, and forget about them. Works for me every time..they do reorient. I've moved hives mere feet, doing that.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that distance. Drop them off and worry about getting ready for the packages.

·
Registered
760 Posts
thanks for posting the pic---!!!! i was going to but got busy - - but thats the set up of most pail feeding - 1 gallon buckets work but the 2 gallons work better - since you dont have to feed them as often -

one thing to do is to turn it up-side down out side of the hive so that it drips out side of the hive rather then on the brood below ( this is just for a few seconds to build a suction !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts