Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If feeding 1:1 sugar water stimulates bees in the spring, does just feeding a barely wet sugar slush also do the same?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
No, a thin syrup works best. Try a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar or a 1 to 1 mix and see which works best with yours bees. If your bees need feeding now because of a lack of stores, I would still go with the fall mix of 2 parts sugar to 1 water.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'll throw in my experience for what it's worth...My bees have plenty of stores in the hive. For the last week they have been pulling in pollen, but not really doing much else in the hive (I have an observation window so I watch them all the time). Just the other day, I put a weak 1:2 sugar water (an anise oil) solution out in the open feeder and they are gulping it down. (I limit it to 1 cup a day because I don't want them to store it).

Now the bees are all over the comb, festooning, and I bet they are making more comb; which is exactly what I was trying to get them to do. So even though my bees had plenty of stores, my guess is that finding sugar water outside the hive has made them feel like a "flow" is on, so they are getting to work. From the looks of our weather, we are not too far away from a natural flow, and I'm trying to get the bees built up so I can split them.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, general rule of thumb is that 2:1 (thick syrup) is for long term stores, 1:1 (thin syrup) is for getting them thinking the flow is on and that they need to be building up for it.

Reason is, to my knowledge anyway, that the bees don't actually eat syrup or honey that is that thick, that they water it down a bit first. Kind of like us storing dried rice. It takes up less room and lets us store a lot more of it in one spot when its dried, but we still have to stop and prepare it before we can eat it. If you give them thinner syrup, its like just bringing home a bag of McDonald's. Not the greatest food source on the planet, but it'll do and its ready to eat right out of the bag.

My own bees only made it through the winter thanks to the candyboard I added, so I've been feeding them 2:1 to get their in-frame stores built back up ASAP while we're in this current warm spell. There's another cold snap coming next week then its supposed to warm up again after that, so I'll start giving them 1:1 afterwards so they can start building up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do understand that a 1:1 sugar syrup IS stimulating. I also understand that 2:1 is for STORAGE. What I am trying to discern is what does simply feeding SUGAR "slush" (a little more than spritzed with water) do. I am hoping it simply FEEDS them and doesn't stimulate them, nor give them anything to store. Just keeps them alive, if starvation is an issue.

My bees have plenty of stores. I "hope" it is all correctly placed within the hive. I really don't want to stimulate mine, but I do worry about bees in general starving, since nothing around here is available in terms of nectar. Today it's 72 and bees will be out and searching.

I don't care if I'm feeding the neighbor's bees. ;) I just like seeing them.

Am I doing a disservice?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I do understand that a 1:1 sugar syrup IS stimulating. I also understand that 2:1 is for STORAGE. What I am trying to discern is what does simply feeding SUGAR "slush" (a little more than spritzed with water) do. I am hoping it simply FEEDS them and doesn't stimulate them, nor give them anything to store. Just keeps them alive, if starvation is an issue.
Thats called a candyboard.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Edy, but a candyboard is inside the hive for when the bees are clustered. That's what I think too, Ruthies.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, a thin syrup works best. Try a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar or a 1 to 1 mix and see which works best with yours bees. If your bees need feeding now because of a lack of stores, I would still go with the fall mix of 2 parts sugar to 1 water.
Just seeing this post, AR. Thanks for the information. I guess I didn't state my question well. Just trying to figure out how to put feed out without stimulating.

Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My bees have plenty of stores. I "hope" it is all correctly placed within the hive. I really don't want to stimulate mine, but I do worry about bees in general starving, since nothing around here is available in terms of nectar. Today it's 72 and bees will be out and searching.
If they have "plenty of stores" and it's 72deg why are you worrying?, open the hive up and move stuff around and know for sure what's up.... I can only dream of 72 right now 43 is the norm for a while. Good luck...

·
Registered
133 Posts
bees.jpg i have some 1 that's letting me take over his bees, looks like 1 might be getting low on population, 1 that has died off ,and can i feed some syrup 1:1, 2:1 syrup to repopulate and if i do this, do i have to keep feeding them till pollen comes on?? what would be best. i have open the hive up they were all at the top did not pull any frames but could see empty cells this is my first time opening a hive and i did it by my self woow what a rush:banana: here r some pics of the dead cluster with cells empty :( and what kind of bees might they be ?? dead 1.jpg dead 2.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to hear, Michael. I just want to provide sustenance and to observe them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts