Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you running a tighter brood area with frames cut down to 1 1/4 inch end bars, do you use these throughout the hive and space them further apart for honey or do you switch to the standard frames for the rest? Also, I read some old posts about Kelley's making the 1 1/4 frames, are they still doing this?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I use eleven 1 1/4" frames in a brood box. The honey supers would be ten standard frames. I had a bad experience with Kelly's narrow frames it is easy to buy the standard side bars and shave them with a hand plane or sander if you are just building 11 or 33 frames. A jointer or table saw is faster if you are doing hundreds of them

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Also, I read some old posts about Kelley's making the 1 1/4 frames, are they still doing this?
No, I learned this past week that they are no longer making them.

I understand that Kelley's have made some changes to improve their frames which I thought was curious. They generally had a reputation for making excellent frames. It's good that they gave up on making narrow end bars; I sent 200 back because they were too irregular for my liking.

Some people do space-out narrow frames in honey supers but I am still trying to get more brood nests converted over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also, I read some old posts about Kelley's making the 1 1/4 frames, are they still doing this?
I emailed them within the past two weeks and inquired about narrow frames. They no longer offer them because they had too much trouble maintaining the quality. See below:

Doug,

We no longer make the narrow frames. Our equipment can not run them consistently and maintain the high quality we need. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jennifer Priddy

Account Manager

The Walter T. Kelley Co.

1-270-242-2019 extension 203

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed them within the past two weeks and inquired about narrow frames. They no longer offer them because they had too much trouble maintaining the quality. See below:

Doug,

We no longer make the narrow frames. Our equipment can not run them consistently and maintain the high quality we need. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jennifer Priddy

Account Manager

The Walter T. Kelley Co.

1-270-242-2019 extension 203
I can certainly respect their position on it. What is the best way to trim them down?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
it is easy to buy the standard side bars and shave them with a hand plane or sander if you are just building 11 or 33 frames. A jointer or table saw is faster if you are doing hundreds of them
I prefer the hand planer that is like a surform shaver, the one handed model.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The easiest way, for me, to trim End Bars to 1-1/4" width, is to only cut them that wide when I make them.

Back when I used to purchase them at 1-3/8" width I would trim 1/16" off each side, by either running them through my table saw or band saw, first setting the fence at 1-5/16", trimming one side, then setting the fence at 1-1/4" and trimming the opposite side. Final product being End Bars that still had the same center point, but were 1/8" less in width. Quick and accurate.

I used a push stick with two nail points protruding from it's end, they would get a good hold on the small pieces, keep them pushed down and against the fence, while keeping me and my fingers/hands well away from any cutting blades.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Those of you running a tighter brood area with frames cut down to 1 1/4 inch end bars, do you use these throughout the hive and space them further apart for honey or do you switch to the standard frames for the rest? Also, I read some old posts about Kelley's making the 1 1/4 frames, are they still doing this?
I used 1-1/4 inch spacing in the brood box last year with foundationless frames with a couple of drawn empty frames plus one with pollen and honey from the previous year in the brood box only. The box on top was at normal 1-3/8 spacing. I was very happy with the result of the brood box. This was a new 3# package with queen. I was able to split this one around July 1.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I run all my frames thru the table saw set at 1 1/4" and use a sharpee to make a vee toward the cut side and keep them indexed that way. I draw them all out 11 to the box because the bees make a lot less burr comb on new foundation and make uniform smaller cells that I want. For extraction supers after the frames are drawn I use as few as 8 in a ten frame box.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> do you use these throughout the hive and space them further apart for honey or do you switch to the standard frames for the rest?

Both. If I had time to get them all cut donw, I would just space them further. Since I don't, the wide ones often end up in super spaced wider...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts