Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 29 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    Hello everyone. I'm new on this forum. I need help determining whether my friend's hive is queenless. I checked it out today and found no brood, lots of bees, honey, nectar and some queen cells. I'm still relatively new at this, so I could use some help. I posted a video with the findings...
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I currently have two hives and one of them for one reason or another there is no queen. I have no tried to introduce a queen into the hive three times. I paid someone to do this for me the first time via the queen cage method. I took a quick peek a few days later and the queen was dead but...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have a hive that has no eggs or capped brood. Population had dwindled considerably. I'm assuming I am queenless as I didn't see her either so I ordered a new queen today. My concern is I have two more hives where I installed 5 frame nucs 4 weeks ago. They are going strong, but not sure...
  4. Warre and other Compact Vertical Hives Forum
    First year beekeeper with 2 Warre hives: one with top bars and one with modified frames. I hived 2 packages on 3/31. Went to remove the queen boxes on 4/5 and found a dead queen covered in a cluster of dead bees in the top bar warre. I initially blamed myself and assumed the queen got too...
  5. Beekeeping 101
    Hi, We have been off and on beekeepers for about three years in Oregon. Last year a swarm moved into our deserted hive and set up housekeeping. They did just great on their own and this spring they swarmed. Then swarmed again a few weeks later! The hive looked pretty busy still, so we...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hey folks, I am having a time making a decision to requeen a big hive that swarmed on May 12 and has shown no signs of a queen yet, so I thought I ought to requeen it and I ordered the queen and have a nice bred queen in hand but I am wondering if I should put her in there. There are a lot of...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    I posted a request for advice earlier and it was suggested that I be patient. While I agree I need patience, I have more observations and questions. For a little review of the history, we have been wanting to try hand at raising bees. We also wanted to try the feral approach (catching a swarm...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I must be a lucky one - this is the first package that's given me trouble in my few years of hobby beekeeping. - Spotty, few brood on frames. Many of the capped brood are single bullets - drone - in worker comb. - Saw signs of chalkbrood early on, about 3-5 instances in one inspection. - I...
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Yesterday I found a hive queenless with no brood an a few capped cells. I am getting packckage bees next Sunday (1 week). Can I install a package in the queenless hive as if I were combining two hives? Or should I start combining the queenless hive with another and do a split when queens are...
  10. Beekeeping 101
    First off, thanks to everyone on the forum for posting and helping me out with my amateurish questions. I really appreciate it. This place is a great source of info! Last Friday I went up to the farm location(on the side of a mountain here in the tropics) where I keep 4 of my 5 hives and I...
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Dear All, I am about to purchase a mated queen and want to introduce the new queen slowly by way of a cage, with a candy plug. i am afraid of the possibility of there being laying workers in this hive already. I have heard that this may prove to be deadly for the newly introduced queen. Any...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hey everyone, So I have this hive, it is a great hive, big and strong on my spring inspection everything looked great about the first of March. Then about two weeks ago I noticed bearding and LOTS of bees on the ground and I thought "oh crap they are going to swarm." I resisted the impulse to...
  13. Beekeeping 101
    I lost both of my hives this winter and ordered two new packages. I installed them this past weekend, but managed to allow one of the queens to escape during the install of one of the packages. I'm not sure of where the packages originated as they were purchased through someone else and every...
  14. Beekeeping 101
    Three months ago a local bee keeper put two hives in our vegetable garden and offered to split the honey. I wanted to get into bee keeping so I purchased the hives from him. I have since added one more deep hive body to the hives I got from him. I also purchased two packages of Cardovans. My...
  15. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Okay, I got a Package from Parson's Gold Apiary, installed it in a TBH, released the queen, and now I'm queenless and have laying workers *Ouch* There is a shaker method to get rid of the laying workers (rather not do that If it can be helped). Is there any way I can just introduce a new queen...
  16. Beekeeping 101
    I inspected one of my Langstroth hives yesterday for the first time this year and discovered it was empty of brood. I reversed the deep brood boxes on it about 3 weeks ago, but was unable to do a full inspection at the time. I think I either killed or severely injured the queen at that time and...
  17. Beekeeping 101
    2nd year beekeeper here looking for help/advice to a problem Im having: Background: Hive #1 has two 10 frame deeps and one honey super with queen excluder. 3 weeks ago I made a nuc by taking frames from this hive. At the time, all was well with the hive .....brood in all stages, marked queen...
  18. Beekeeping 101
    I have always heard if your bees are carrying in pollen then a queen and or brood must be present. Is this a myth or a truth? The reason for this question is this post www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?267709-Should-I-be-worried. As you can see from the mentioned post the colony is...
  19. Beekeeping 101
    OK, last week I found a swarm hanging from one of my trees. I caught it and put it in a nuc, but unfortunately it flew away. I suspected it was from one of my two hives in my yard. So, I checked my biggest and strongest hive, and made a split when opening the broodnest, which I had not yet done...
  20. Beekeeping 101
    I was just over at a friends, and one of his hives lost it's queen, but is still working. Workers with pollen and nectar are coming and going adding to the hive, but there is no queen in the hive that we can see. Is there an easy way to move frame of eggs over to the hive and have the workers...
1-20 of 29 Results