Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 91 Results
  1. Scientific Studies / CCD / Neonics
    https://phys.org/news/2023-11-widespread-belief-honeybees-naturally-insulate.html I follow phys.org and this popped on the other day. It seems reasonable from a mechanical engineering aspect and it's a quick read. TL:Dr We aren't using hives with thick enough walls like the trees they would...
  2. Winter Beekeeping
    My colonies all made it through our very wet and drawn out winter in Northern Oregon, but not without some equipment damage and ruined frames from leaks. I am considered wrapping my hives this fall for protection from the rain, but I'd like others' inputs before I do so. The wrapping might keep...
  3. Photo/Video Gallery
    For Canadian beekeepers the 2021-22 winter was worse than any in recent memory. Winter honeybee colony losses exceeding those of the peak of colony collapse disorder in 2006-2008. (You can read more about the challenges facing Canadian beekeepers here: Canadian Beekeepers Facing Severe Winter...
  4. Beekeeping 101
    I am a first year bee keeper, this is my only hive and I live in northern Ohio. Winters get rough. My colony barely made enough winter honey but the hive was the right weight. I came out today after walking past the hive and noticing the entrance reducer had been moved. I looked at the inside...
  5. Photo/Video Gallery
    Fun little video we put together. After this year's harvest a bit of relaxing is great :)
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    We had a few days this week around 75-80F. I don’t have a good way to heat a volume of water and I’ve finally resorted to just using well water mixing 10 gal at a time, sometimes several times a day. My thinking is if I’m feeding thin I need to get it done and allow them time to cure it...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    I am feeding my hive 2:1 sugar water right now. There is a ton of capped honey in the brood boxes. I don't know exactly how heavy the top one is, but at least 65 lbs. I am assuming the bottom brood box is the less. When I do a google search it says a colony needs (for where I live) 60-90 pounds...
  8. Beekeeping 101
    I did a hive inspection today and this is my first year. It has been quite chilly since my last inspection. there were a few frames of honey in the supers. When I opened the hive today all of the frames with capped honey were broken like in the photo. At first, I thought it was maybe robbing or...
  9. Winter Beekeeping
    Hi, I have a colony at the back of my garden (UK). I will be away from the country end of November to early January (6 - 7 weeks). I have 1 super full of nectar. Is it ok keep the super full of honey throughout the winter for the bees instead of feeding? I will not be able to feed them from end...
  10. Warre and other Compact Vertical Hives Forum
    Hello! I am a new beekeeper and recently installed a package in my Ware hive. I work abroad and so will have to be fairly hands off. I plan to come back to the hive twice a year, so I'm just trying to plan ahead for the winter and give the bees the best chance of survival. I have some questions...
  11. Diseases and Pests
    Checking my bees the other day and I noticed several dead SHBs on the landing board. I had not thought that they survived over winter as adults. I assumed that the larvae lived in the ground and each year a new crop appeared, but seeing these makes me wonder if adults pass the winter in the...
  12. Northeast
    Hi all I brought a single deep colony into my heated workshop (55-60 F) about a month ago after seeing broodminder temperatures that were too low. I knew that they would never make it to spring. I was taking a chance but these girls were doomed anyway because the cluster was not big enough...
  13. General Bee Forum Discussions
    6a cloudy snow on the ground and 40. Experimented with spritzing water droplets on the landing board or around top entrance. They went ape. The nozzle was quite close and they would dive on the droplet immediately. Kept it up for 20 minutes with no sign of slowing down. Tom Seeley said the...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Does anybody else love wrapping in the snow?? https://youtu.be/R8JnVZzZCzc
  15. All other areas
    This is what we do in late winter / early spring :D https://youtu.be/2d5Z47uEWF0
  16. All other areas
    We are surrounded by the sea, so our Winters are mild, and our Summers almost never get over 30C (86F). My apiary is in a Pine grove, which protects them from our fierce winds, but most times, they are in dappled Sunlight. To that end, I shop for dark mis-tint paint, because I feel the interior...
  17. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    I have two top bar hives. What I was considering the stronger of the two has enough honey stores and some open brood (eggs and larva) but a bad case of mites. The weaker one has little honey stores closed brood and no visible signs of disease or mites. At this point what is my best option...
  18. Winter Beekeeping
    Hello, Just a quick question about one of my hives. This hive is struggling with European foulbrood (I have been trying several natural ways to do deal with EFB). There is currently about 2 frames of brood and about 4 frames of honey, but that is all. The other frames have wax cells, but are...
  19. Beekeeping 101
    Hi All, I have six hives divided 3/3 in two locals on my farm. Three are gang busters full of honey brood and pollen but on the other side of my property 2km away, the other three are loaded with bees but two are practically empty of pollen and honey. The third has a full deep of honey (these...
  20. General Bee Forum Discussions
    While in my hive yesterday, it appears that my queen is gone and I have laying workers. I base this on the broad pattern and swore I saw a few drones. Based on it being only January, what would you recommend I do with this situation. Any input is greatly appreciated.
1-20 of 91 Results