Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 66 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    Hello and Thankyou for this forum. My Name is Paul, A British expatriate living in Greece. I started keeping bee’s here about three years ago. Without any real prior knowledge about keeping bee’s just what I read in books and YouTube. I bought 5 starter colonies of which I was told were local...
  2. New Member Introductions
    Hi everyone! So glad to be a part of this great knowledgeable group. I'm just getting started in my beekeeping journey. I've been reading and researching and reading and watching tons of videos for about a month now. I do not currently have any bees but will have a small hive setup by this...
  3. New Member Introductions
    Hi everyone, I have a nucleus of bees in a layens Nuc box, but all my hives are Langstroth... What is the best way to switch from Layens to Langstroth? Is there a method? Everything online seems to be the reverse method, from Langstroth to Layens... A beekeeper mentioned placing the Layens...
  4. New Member Introductions
    Newly made account, but i've been around for a while reading and learning. I reserved my first Nuc and am putting my first hive together for the spring. Have always wanted to keep bees! Planning on attending the local clubs meetings in February/march. Have a good day! :)
  5. Equipment/Hardware
    Can I move my occupied frames into a new box without disrupting the bees? I am a new hobbyist beek and started this April with unpainted boxes: 1 deep brood box with 5 frames from a dear friend filled with bees, a queen and all the goodies. I added 3 foundation frames. A few weeks later I...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello all, Fairly new beekeeper here. A few years ago, I tried to save a colony fallen from a tree into a top-bar box (details in this thread) and was unfortunately unsuccessful. I have since moved into town where I can't safely keep bees, and the box was unceremoniously dumped in a field on my...
  7. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    First of all, please excuse my ignorance if I use wrong bee keeping terms. I really will try not to embarrass myself, although it will be hard. We received a small swarm of bees back on June 8th of this year. They had been in a nuc box for 2 weeks prior to us receiving them. The comb they had...
  8. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi, Yesterday I finally captured a swarm for my first hive and in my excitement put a thin leafy 20" cherry branch inside the hive. The stragglers had swarmed on this branch and thought it would be the best way to make sure they all got in... It is a top bar hive set up to keep the bees in the...
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello, I'm Tim. I couldn't think of a better place to have this answered. I have 20 acres and am building a fence. There is one section of the fence, near the trees, where I keep getting attacked. They'll chase me for over 100 feet and they're FAST! So fast. I know why, obviously. I try...
  10. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi everyone. My mom has kept bees for years (in Langstroths) and ordered an extra hive this year thinking she had the gear for it, but instead offered it to me. I knocked together a TBH following Les Crowder's plans, read the books, did the youtube bonanza, etc. I live in midcoast Maine, and...
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have two hives that made it through last winter (1 with original queen, 1 queen died and was requeened three weeks ago). Original queen hive is absolutely booming with essentially an entire 10 frame deep of brood and tons of bees, requeened hive does have a few frames of brood but def not...
  12. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    How would you handle this situation? Bees on a cairn? My gut says it could have been done better than what we did. Run down of what happened: -My dad has kept bees in the past, didn't have any as of yesterday, but did have equipment. Heard a swarm, walked to the nextdoor neighbor's house and...
  13. Beekeeping 101
    This will be my first years starting two brand new hives. A friend gave me a shopping list of equipment, which I ordered, not realizing he used starter strips for the wedge top frames he recommended. I plan to use Rite-Cell plastic foundation. I understand I'll probably get a different opionion...
  14. New Member Introductions
    Hello everyone, My name is Christopher, and I'm just 2 weeks away from starting my first bee hive. I live in Bristol County in the South Shore of Massachusetts. Not a ton of beekeeping action up in the north so I'm proud to be a beekeeper in a place that would benefit from having more! On top...
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I just started beekeeping, to the point where I don't actually have bees yet, and despite my looking I have seen many mixed reviews... So my question is in Washington State (it's in North-West U.S. if you were wondering) how much harvestable honey will my fresh bees produce, and in the next...
  16. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hello, all, thank you so much for hosting this forum. I really value everyone's contributions and wisdom! I am so glad this forum exists at all. I am going to post my day by day blog, see replies below. Consider this the newbie's guide to DIY, written from a newbie's point of view. Why...
  17. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hey, I am a complete newbie. I built a top bar hive from the plans posted by Michael Bush. I installed a package of bees on Saturday, three days ago. That went mostly okay. The bees seem to like the hive. However, there is a huge clump of them on the right wall, I assume around the queen...
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm assembling my first two hives and had some questions on wiring wood frames with wax foundation. The wire kinks easily when I am wiring the frames. I tried to pull it out straight and it just broke the wire. Will the kinks matter once it is embedded in the wax foundation? How tight...
  19. New Member Introductions
    New beekeeper from Gastonia, NC Actually, my ex and I had 2 hives for about 2 seasons 15 years ago and now I'm on my own, wanting to try this bee thing again. I'm a retired journalist, a current licensed massage therapist and looking at retiring this fall. So interesting to see that there are...
  20. New Member Introductions
    I'm new to this convinced by the wild bees that kept coming into my house that space was needed, I bought a Langston hive to hopefully catch a swarm when the time comes. I got the hive Dec 23 and I've been feeding the empty hive 2:1 sugar syrup. So far bees in the house has dropped off to 3...
1-20 of 66 Results