Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 36 Results
  1. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi there, i am a new beekeeper and this winter i successfully overwintered my first hive. I lost 2 others to mites. Lets call the successful one Hive A. It took off very well in the spring only to find out a bear destroyed it overnight. The hive's location is not known to have bears but...
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi all - I found another post about this situation from 2015, but it didn't seem to reach a conclusion consistent with what I'm seeing, so I apply again to the "hive mind" for advice/insight. I just inspected an overwintered hive (front-range Colorado... dandelions just starting...). It's...
  3. Beekeeping 101
    I apologize if this is anything obvious. I am a new beekeeper. I did an inspection on a hive that we started three weeks ago from a nuc that we bought. I'm pretty sure that the hive is currently queenless. We have never seen the queen (but then again, we're the typical new beekeepers that...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    So, I split my three hives about 5 weeks ago. We noticed signs of possible impending swarms in two of them and we had all the right conditions and stores. We went in and checked about 2 weeks into the split and found 5+ queen cells in each split hive, so things were looking real good. Over the...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    My package bees I installed in my top bar hive balled their queen last month. I tried putting in a frame of eggs from another hive to raise a new queen, but I ended up with laying workers who then killed the new queen they raised. I've left it alone pretty much since then...just over a month...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    While in my hive yesterday, it appears that my queen is gone and I have laying workers. I base this on the broad pattern and swore I saw a few drones. Based on it being only January, what would you recommend I do with this situation. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Today I found one of my hives to be a laying worker hive. Funny thing is that the queen (last year summer queen) was still there and appeared to be healthy. There is no doubt the hive was laying worker. Several eggs in each cell, very spotty brood, all of it drones, diminishing and listless...
  8. Beekeeping 101
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. I recently moved and had to leave my single hive unattended for a few months. I was finally able to relocate it to my new home. It was rainy and cold for a week, so I couldn't open it for several days. Upon first inspection I found: -queen -5-6 hatched queen...
  9. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Just trying to figure out how, or when to call the difference. Right now I have a nuc that has me second guessing myself (not finding a queen didn't help) However as some cups have only one egg, perfectly in the the bottom and noting that the cells with multiple eggs are all in the bottom- I...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I could use some guidance from a more experienced beekeeper. I am in my 3rd year but have a problem I don't know how to solve. I installed a new package into a nuc 10 days ago. 2-3 frames of the nuc were already drawn out and may have had a little honey/pollen on them. On inspection today, I...
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm not sure what to do. The hive next door propped them up with lost bees til I merged them. I dumped the laying worker or poorly mated queen hive about 50 feet from the hive stand, and set the boxes back up when I finished, newspaper combining the one with a queen on top. Except I'm not...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    We have a hive and we were pretty sure it was queenless for a while. When we checked on May 30th, there was only honey in the hive, and no sign of eggs/larva. There was some capped brood, and some drone brood, but it was very spotty. When we checked on June 10th, there was still no sign of...
  13. Splits/Combines
    I currently have a hive that's 5 mediums tall, and its split (one medium tall) that I'd made to control for swarm. I made the split after finding 8-10 swarm cells already capped, in late April. I also have a queenright hive nearby, unrelated to these. (This is my first year to have...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Need some more advice;I'm a new beekeeper and I have a 3 week old hive that started from a package. They are in a 10 frame langstroth, foundationless frames. I haven't been able to find the queen since she was released and only two frames are partially (about 40% each) drawn out as of Saturday...
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi folks. I'm new to beekeeping this year and just installed my four lbs. package Carniolans on April 2. Prior to this, I did a lot of reading and video watching to make sure I had a working knowledge of beekeeping before jumping in. Here's a timeline of how things have developed. Day 1: The...
  16. Beekeeping 101
    I am a first year beekeeper and am learning some hard lessons. In short, I have two hives. Both swarmed over a month ago and I have been waiting/hoping they would get queenright on their own. For whatever reason (I wish I knew,) neither of them seem to be and they have been broodless for...
  17. General Bee Forum Discussions
    This observation hive was seeded from a package. I am not sure whats going on with it, but I have watched it intently for the last 3 weeks. I know there are workers laying eggs. Finally caught one on film. They can and DO stick themselves all the way down in the cell to reach the bottom...
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    On June 29th we inspected our hives and came across one that had a laying worker. This hive was a package introduced in April that had a marked, laying queen. They superseeded her about 8 weeks after the installation and it looks like she never made it back to the hive, which resulted in the...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I must be a lucky one - this is the first package that's given me trouble in my few years of hobby beekeeping. - Spotty, few brood on frames. Many of the capped brood are single bullets - drone - in worker comb. - Saw signs of chalkbrood early on, about 3-5 instances in one inspection. - I...
  20. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    I have a colony which I believe is a laying worker colony. I've tried putting in queen cells and various other possible solutions, to no avail. It's about 5 or 6 frames of bees. I haven't been able to spot a queen and believed it was a laying worker colony. But it could perhaps be a very small...
1-20 of 36 Results