Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 113 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    Hi, and thanks for reading this post. Inspected 8 frame hives last week, bottom deeps nearly empty, tops had 2 to 3 frames honey, some pollen and the rest brood. I fed them 2 gallons of 2:1, hoping they'd fill the bottom box. Inspected today: bottoms full of open brood, tops as before (some...
  2. Beekeeping 101
    I’ve been feeding hummingbirds forever, but new to beekeeping. This brings up a question: If hummingbirds and bees eat essentially the same nectar in the wild, why do we feed bees a 1:1 sugar water solution but hummingbird food is supposed to be 1:4? Just curious.
  3. Beekeeping 101
    Hello! I installed a package in a new hive body (plastic foundation) with a top feeder last Friday (4/7) and added 2 gallons of sugar syrup. I read somewhere else in these forums that I should add 4-8 tsps of Honey B Healthy per gallon of syrup and I erred on the heavier side of that. The...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi, Its been a while since I installed a package. I have a medium super with 10 frames of drawn comb (3 have honey) ready for the package. I am also putting a pollen patty on the top bars...It's still cool/cold here in Wisconsin (first week of April). My questions for the mentors in the...
  5. Winter Beekeeping
    In winter, I am sometimes tempted to put a weak colony on top of a strong colony in order to provide added warmth to the top, weak colony. I would separate the two colonies with a double screened board using an open gate in the DSB for an entrance for the top weak colony. But how would I add...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    I have a new hive this year after loosing a hive last year. So far about 80% of the bottom 10 frame brood box is filled out, and in the second box they are just starting to fill it out. My bees are very slow this year, for comparison my other hive has already filled out both boxes and is working...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    Anybody in central texas? I have a young hive that I installed this year and trying to plan for the winter. I'm wondering if anybody in central texas has issues with having to feed their bees during the winter or if they are able to forage enough and store enough honey for themselves.
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I am in Zone 7a and we are having an October that is quite warm and it's supposed to be in the 70s and 60s for the whole month. I have 2 hives and 2 double nucs that need to put on weight as their stores are low. How quickly can they take 1:1 and store it? Is there anything I should do to get...
  9. Winter Beekeeping
    Hi, I have a colony at the back of my garden (UK). I will be away from the country end of November to early January (6 - 7 weeks). I have 1 super full of nectar. Is it ok keep the super full of honey throughout the winter for the bees instead of feeding? I will not be able to feed them from end...
  10. Diseases and Pests
    Hello, everyone. I have a mess of ants setting up housekeeping in the empty super I have above my hive. Using a top feeder, as you’ll see in the photo. Any thoughts on possible actions/remedies? Leave them be? Dump ‘em out and move along? (My choice for now.) Something else? Thanks!
  11. Warre and other Compact Vertical Hives Forum
    Hello! I am a new beekeeper and recently installed a package in my Ware hive. I work abroad and so will have to be fairly hands off. I plan to come back to the hive twice a year, so I'm just trying to plan ahead for the winter and give the bees the best chance of survival. I have some questions...
  12. All other areas
    Greetings. Does anyone have experience of feeding date syrup to bees? I gather the natural sugar in the syrup is better than fondant (which is inverted sugar). Any wisdom on the subject would be gratefully received. Thanks.
  13. Equipment/Hardware
    The setup isn't that expensive and many like myself in the past have wondered how these things are put together. There are many ways to do it but this is how I run mine. https://youtu.be/J9pSC4CO-vo
  14. All other areas
    Hello all, I'm looking at keeping a honey super on my double deep hive bodies, which I did last year for the first time and it worked well. But would like advice on procedure for feeding 2-1 sugar syrup to help pack the hives with the super on? or if I should remove it during feeding. I'd...
  15. Northeast
    I am in my second year of trying to manage my hives in single deep brood chambers. One of the challenges that I have noticed is trying to feed them. Because of my lifestyle and storage ability, I would like to use internal hive feeders and just leave them inside the hive all year round. The...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I've got (2) hives, side by side that I started from nucs in April. Both fairly large now. One hive has at least one super of mostly capped honey. This being their first year, I have no intentions of robbing, but will monitor after the fall flow to see if they need to be fed. The other hive...
  17. Equipment/Hardware
    What are you all using for feeders in cardboard nucs? I don't want to use Boardman (robbing risk) or in hive type that takes room from the growing bees. i do community feed as well but I don't think the sound nuc with few foragers is able to get much feed that way. I'm considering using the...
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have 4 nucs I started later than usual-first week of July. The queens are laying , everything looks good and I’ve been feeding them right along. Trouble is, they’re not storing anything much. My bigger hives are sucking up the syrup and packing it away but these nucs are just barely using the...
  19. Texas
    We are in SE Texas. New to beekeeping, have had 3 hives for a little over a 1/2 year now. We have not harvested yet, but have some full deeps and then some. Can you tell us... is there a formula, if you will, for knowing how much honey to leave for the hive overwinter so we don't need to feed Is...
  20. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I need some advice on multiple things here: I noticed this morning our hives are doing this (see pic). The weather is very humid, about 70 degrees. We still have goldenrod out so have not harvested honey yet. I am not sure why they are bearding like this. Now to the hives: The right 2 hives...
1-20 of 113 Results