Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 36 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    New beekeeper here. How many acres of foraging materials do I need to plant per beehive ? Or where can I find such a calculation ? We have 100 acres of Almond trees already, just looking to add hedgerows and maybe designating some acreage just for the bees specifically. Any ideas ? Thanks...
  2. Beekeeping 101
    I started feeding my colony a week and a half ago or so. I have had frame feeders in the whole year because I bought the hive from a mentor and never thought to buy a new frame to replace the feeder. The feeders are really hard to get out as the bees have propilized them in. Before I fill the...
  3. Beekeeping 101
    Hello everyone, I have been buying Mannlake's Ultra bee powder FD-210, For years. I would mix 2:1sugar syrup, And then mix in the powder FD - 210 until I would form a patty. This year I bought 2 pails 10 lbs each, And both smell (kinda nice, not like it use to be), differently, as well as...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Purchasing my usual ProSweet for fall and UltraBee winter patties. Also buying a baggie feeder shim to add height to one of my quilt boxes. Inventory and pantry is solid. Stacks of comb and emergency honey frames waiting in the wings in my bee closet. Anything interesting to you? Want to...
  5. Beekeeping 101
    Dear all, maybe a very basic question but I do not know how to estimate if feed reserves are sufficient or I need to feed (according to the hive population). I mean, how many syrup / honey frames should I have per frame covered of bees? If I have 4 frames of bees, how many frames of honey/syrup...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    Hi All, I have six hives divided 3/3 in two locals on my farm. Three are gang busters full of honey brood and pollen but on the other side of my property 2km away, the other three are loaded with bees but two are practically empty of pollen and honey. The third has a full deep of honey (these...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi all, just got 3.5 tons of pro sweet from Kelleys/mannlake in Clarkson KY. The price is 38 cents a 100lb. Cheaper if you buy alot more. The folks at Kelleys like Jennifer, Paul, and Kathryn are great folks and are very helpful and treat you like family. Pro sweet is thick like honey and it is...
  8. Beekeeping 101
    Guys, a dumb question. How do you know when to feed? I mean, I have been feeding in periods were there is no nectar flow (duh!), but how can I read from the frames if my bees are low on reserves? When and how much to feed? I haven't found a metric such as # of frames with bees vs # frames with...
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Does anybody know how could I preserve longer sugar syrup inside the hive? I have around 50 hives and I'm in south Texas. The syrup becomes sour after a week during the hot months and have to get rid of that syrup and feed again. Sometimes the bees leave too much and it all goes down the drain...
  10. Where To Buy . . .
    At Walmart I saw a 25lb bag of sugar goes for $14. At my local grocery store it is just around the same price. That's $0.56 a pound. Is sugar that expensive for everyone? Where do you get your sugar?
  11. Beekeeping 101
    A newbie here... I'm getting my first package in a few weeks. The plan is to install it and leave it for 3-5 days before checking if the queen was released and accepted. My question is how much food should I leave for the bees during that period. I'm planning on using 1:1 sugar nectar to feed...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello, I was wondering if I should feed my hives or not. The 2 hives I have I started in July from nucs. During my last inspection I saw half a frame of honey in the top chamber in one hive and nothing in the other hive. I don't know what is going on in the bottom box of both hives, because my...
  13. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Healthy hive going into cold and winter. No more nectar is being gathered. Should I 2:1 syrup feed just to give the workers something to live on so they don't eat the honey they stored for winter?
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I can get a hold of a few tons of dried honey that was rejected from an accident and am wondering a fair price to pay for it and also how I would feed this to cattle. Would like also to know the nutritional value of dried honey.
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi, first year beekeeper here. I purchased two different hives (though both Langstroths) and bees from two different sources in April and have been having a great year so far. Both have been thriving. I have tried to figure out over the weeks what is the best policy regarding feeding and...
  16. Commercial Beekeeping
    I'm a sideliner and scaling up my operation. I used to mix up my sryup/water feed in garbage cans and transfer to milk jugs to take to the bee yards. When the weather is good I am able to deliver via a pickup and just pour each gallon into a in-hive board feeder. When the weather is bad I...
  17. Alternative Pollinators
    Bees for Development: Brazilian Survey Reveals How to Optimize Stingless Beekeeping Stingless bees are an important asset to assure plant biodiversity in many natural ecosystems, and fulfill the growing agricultural demand for pollination. However, across developing countries stingless...
  18. Equipment/Hardware
    I wanted something to go under my moisture quilt in the winter and something that could work for Baggie feeders as well. Cut a medium super in half Drilled 1" holes for ventilation Screened them with #8 hardware cloth Pic #2 - lid off I made a lid for it out of the hardware cloth that drops in...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I've made some sugar bricks for emergency feed. Most recipes are the same, especially when the final temp is 242F for the sugar mixture before pouring into molds. They're really soft to the touch. We have a lot of moisture in the PNW and I imagine these things turning into a sloppy runny goo...
  20. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Feeding Sugar IFAS APIS April 1985, Volume 3, Number 4 A. G. Matheson is an Apicultural Advisory Officer in New Zealand and writes a publication, “The Beekeepers’ Bulletin.” In February 1985, he published some interesting information on feeding sugar. The three tables below show calculations to...
1-20 of 36 Results