Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 21 Results
  1. General Bee Forum Discussions
    6A- High desert Oregon- elevation 3182. Grand solar minimum, yes I know. How is everyone else dealing with the cold? April looked mostly normal but May has been consistently cold. Gardening has been stunted. Bees are alive but not really building. Just put a Bee Cozy and feed back on one...
  2. Beekeeping 101
    Can bees from Tropical climates such as Puerto Rico adapt easily to other colder climates or are they more likely to die off than their European and other counterparts? Thank you!
  3. Beekeeping 101
    After reading extensively and watching countless video's my first two hives have died. You can try and do everything right *varroa control throughout with none going into fall *queens bred for winter *fall feeding in September*winter protection which included a moisture board right over the...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hey Y'all! So I just got my first package bees today (any bees for that matter)!! Super excited! I have done a lot of homework and read plenty of books, so I feel like I am ready for the adventure. However... I installed the package without issue around noon today. Insured that the queen was...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'd love to hear from Northwest beekeepers on how the cold and wet winter and spring so far are affecting your colonies. I was looking at some weather forecasts and historical weather info and was really surprised to see how much colder this season is than average. Below is a snip of what I...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    It was warm here, so I took the sugar bricks away (recently I put them back) and put syrup on top, but the days got colder and bees stoped consuming syrup. Last few days and today, I noticed that bees are "drinking" water from melted snow paddles. The question is: If bees are "drinking" that...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I did the reverse about 2-3 weeks ago. Both colonies were strong and healthy. I took the quilt box off, sugar brick off and put syrup as a feed. Bees were out and bringing some pollen back to hive. Flowers and trees were blooming. It felt like spring is here. Then it suddenly got cold and snowy...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    A lot of things bloomed a month early here because we didn't have much winter. I think the maples started at least six weeks ago. It got down to mid 20s last night. Can they use pollen after a freeze? Is there any nectar producer that can stand a freeze? The reason for these questions is that...
  9. Beekeeping 101
    Hello everyone, this is my first year and first winter. I would like to know what can I do to protect the girls from the cold Chicago winters. I have done some research and I have found few things: 1. Mannlake.com sells loose or snug fit cardboard box: snug fit-...
  10. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Healthy hive going into cold and winter. No more nectar is being gathered. Should I 2:1 syrup feed just to give the workers something to live on so they don't eat the honey they stored for winter?
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I was just hoping for some input on what would be the best scenario for installing some new packages with some really crappy weather. I just picked up 3 packages last night. By the time I got home it was 29 degrees so no install then. Today's high is going to be 38-39 and cloudy. Tomorrows is...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I know the broodless period occurs late fall through early spring (at least here in the Northeast USA), but I've never read what actually triggers the queen to stop laying. Assuming cold temperatures are the impetus to stop laying, how does she know it's cold when the workers are keeping the...
  13. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Up here on PEI the winter is long and -20C weather is quite common in January and Feb. I was thinking of foregoing the 1x12s for making the body of the hive and getting some finished plywood instead, sandwiching 3/4" or 1" polystyrene insulation between the layers of ply. Doing the same for the...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello, I am new to the forum and hope to get some help to my questions regarding winter feeding, to which I am new as well... In both of my hives today the clusters were in the top super with now empty frames, so I fed them each a zip lock bag with honey and slits cut to give access to the...
  15. New Member Introductions
    Hi Everyone - I'm a newbee from Northern Indiana. Last year I purchased two packages of Carniolans from Northern California. One hive replaced their queen almost immediately, but then went on to prosper. The other hive went great guns from the get-go and so I started a nuc from it. I ended...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Like the rest of the country, the weather has been colder than usual in central Massachusetts for this time of year. As you can see the thermometer reads just under 10 degress fahrenheit. From the picture I have 3 hives and 1 nuc. It is going to be interesting if the nuc survives. More snow is...
  17. Beekeeping 101
    I built 2 hives from scratch this summer, planning on getting bees this coming spring. I've been taking my time and trying to collect everything I need to do it right, being very patient! While at church on Sunday I learned of a bee problem in the parking lot. After church I went and surveyed...
  18. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi all, I'm a brand new beekeeper with a 47" top bar hive (end entrance) and a 3lb package of bees installed March 30th. Everything has been going along fine so far. I had some cross-combing issues, but have been dealing with that by cutting off the comb and re-attaching using hairclips...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Does wind effect a hive if it is hitting the sides of the hives. The temperature here in B.C> is around 10 degrees Celsius and wind are about 32 km/H. Will this effect the hives.
1-19 of 21 Results