Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 20 Results
  1. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi bee friends, My daughter and I installed a package of bees into our first hive on Friday. Even though the attendants in the queen cage were dead (the Italian bees were shipped from Georgia, a 5 day trip), we opted for delayed release (cage between two frames at the top of the box). We live...
  2. Diseases and Pests
    Grozzie2 posted an informative thread called "Anatomy of a Mite Crash;" https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?347723-Anatomy-of-a-mite-crash&p=1656069#post1656069 He specifically asked that no questions be asked so as not to have the thread spiral into an us versus them slug fest on...
  3. Commercial Beekeeping
    What would be an acceptable rate of loose (possibly virgin) Queens being shook into packages? I have seen it from 0% to 1.5% with bulk package orders. Usually noted by absconding bees while leaving the caged queen (validated by finding the queen in the cluster after they left the hive and are...
  4. FAQ
    Traditionally, most wood beehives have had [solid] wood bottoms. If the hive has a bottom entrance, there is an opening for the bees to enter/exit the hive, but the bottom of the hive is otherwise closed off to the environment. A more recent design substitutes wire screen for the wood bottom...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Last Saturday, I brought home two 4 lb packages plus queen and installed each in a T bar hive the next day. When I checked on Wednesday one of the hives was completely empty, the other looked to be doing fine. This evening I checked the other hive and it was almost completely devoid of bees. It...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    Every year, EVERY year, every YEAR, there are multiple posts on beesource saying to the effect, "I installed my package of bees and they absconded." If you feel like you must use a screened bottom board, KEEP IT CLOSED UP AT LEAST UNTIL THE HIVE IS RAISING BROOD. I'm not going to try and...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Yes it's been a rough week for Pooh Bear; the second year hobby beekeeper. This week he discovered that he lost both his hives. What can I say - I am gutted. After treating the hives in August September with OAV and ensuring that they had ample stores - they did. I pretty much left them alone...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I started beekeeping this year, and bought a package of Italian bees mid April. Everything was going great, extremely full hive, queen was laying like a champ, and I was even able to take (1) super off for myself. Then came end of August/September, and things started going down hill. I am not...
  9. New Member Introductions
    Hi, I’m John from Orangeburg, South Carolina A New Bee April 17, 2016..I got my first package of bees, local…. 'Installed them in a homemade top bar hive… 48 x 19 x 11… entrance on the end…3 days later removed the queen cage… It looked like the hive was doing well on about day 10 they...
  10. Equipment/Hardware
    I went to a beginning beekeeping class two weeks ago, which I enjoyed. The instructor told us that in South Texas we should always use a screened bottom board because of the heat. So, I'm wondering if that is really an "always" or just a "sometimes" suggestion for the summer months? I like...
  11. Warre and other Compact Vertical Hives Forum
    I started beekeeping with a Warre in April this year, and I live in Denver. I have 2 boxes set up for the bees, and it took about 6+ weeks but they filled out the top box. They never grew into the bottom box. I've heard that bees sometimes do not grow into the bottom box with Warre hives, and...
  12. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    4 days after my Package install with a half comb built - in the morning they were there in the afternoon all were gone... Why? Why? I got them late and not much Nectar around? I fed them Pollen patties and Sugar water. The Hive may have been too Big? gave them about 10 bars room from the...
  13. Beekeeping 101
    Hi all, I am new to beekeeping and just installed my first three packages this past Saturday. On Sunday one of the hives had very little activity going on compared to the other two. They had been acting different than the other two packages to start out with. While I was there I opened the...
  14. Beekeeping 101
    I am a first year beekeeper with a new problem I can't figure out. It is most likely a problem I caused, so if I can figure out what happened, maybe I can avoid this problem in the future. I had two Langstroth hives side by side, one in a single deep with six frames of bees, one in double...
  15. Equipment/Hardware
    For a couple of years, I kept bees in a top bar hive. Long story short, it didn't work for me. Late last season, I tried to move my bees into a couple of Langstroths, and ended up loosing my bees before winter. I have 3 deep boxes and I will be picking up my new nuc in a few weeks. Last...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello everyone, I am fairly new to beekeeping (second year). This spring, I started a colony from a Nuc hive that I bought. It grew and grew well through July to a two deep, one shallow super hive. For the first two weeks of August, I went on vacation, and when I returned I found that my hive...
  17. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi everyone... I'm new at this so any help is appreciated. I built a cedar TBH and added about 2 lbs of bees last Saturday that a beekeeper shook from an existing L hive. We both saw the queen go in. (no cage) Gave them about 10 bars worth of space. Been feeding 1:1 sugar syrup. TBH has...
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Had a major beard 3 days ago on this hive. Then 2 days ago, major beard. One day ago, no beard. Almost nothing. My knee gave out last week and was not able to get out to go add box or see if they even needed space. Electric company was out around perimeter today with backpacks on; looked like...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Caught My First Swarm: Absconded So, I caught my first swarm last week. The bees landed in some the pine trees just behind the old hive. I was able to climb up and retrieve all the bees and placed them in a new hive. Dumping them into their new home I even saw the old queen (marked blue). I...
  20. Diseases and Pests
    I have an owl house I removed for a customer this summer that I never got around to taking the bees out of. It was a large house with about six combs drawn on the outside. I'm not sure if it had swarmed or just dwindling, but it has been getting smaller lately. Tuesday afternoon I witnessed...
1-20 of 20 Results