Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Melt in your mouth Honey caramel!

16K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Stephanie30 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone here is Laurel's honey caramel recipe. We primarily make it for friends and family around Christmas. They can be mixed with a host of things or warmed and dribbled over apple slices.

https://youtu.be/wGKDNtc-lk0

Honey caramels melt in your mouth and make perfect Christmas gifts!!!
The directions are as follows:
1 cup Liquid Gold (Honey)
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
6 tablespoons of room temp salted butter. (Both Salted and Unsalted will work)

Heat and mix honey and cream in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat. Using an accurate thermometer heat to 275 F. As soon as the honey/cream reaches 275 F. remove from heat and then the vanilla and butter should be added. Stir all of the ingredients together well and pour into a buttered glass container. Place the caramels in a fridge to cool.

#8 ·
#11 ·
I prefer salted butter but we have made them with unsalted and it turned out very good also. Thankfully either one works.

Kalona butter looks amazing! We use to have some neighbors we could get real milk and butter from but they moved. (Darn it)
Kerrygold is about as good as I can do now without driving 2 hours to Nashville. Thankfully I can raise and grow mostly what I want to eat but it is getting harder as the beekeeping grows to the find time.

#10 ·
We made a trial batch last night that was really good....added 1/3 cup of chopped pecans. :thumbsup:

My wife thinks the next trial should add a bit of salt and maybe more nuts....half a cup (maybe more) English walnuts. Black walnuts would be good too, but lots of work 'talking' them out of their shell. :D

#14 · (Edited)
Kamon, just got back from the store with two pints of heavy cream. Can't wait to make a batch of these or two. I will use salted butter and probably add a tiny bit extra salt as well to make it a salted caramel.

Just made the first batch. What I scraped off the spoon was yummy. The rest is still cooling.

#15 ·
Hey Kamon, wanted to update you on the caramels I made. The tulip poplar honey we get here has a pretty robust flavor profile and the caramels made from it only concentrated that flavor. I may try half honey/half sugar next go around to tone it down a bit. Otherwise, still very good. Also the store brand butter from Food Lion may have a lot of excess water in it as the caramels came out softer than I've made before. Next batch I will use clarified butter to reduce the moisture going into the finished candy. Now for some honey peanut brittle.

#16 ·
Ah yes Tulip is a stronger flavored honey that would be pretty aggressive on the tongue when condensed. However, I think it is the best honey for BBQ Ribs! The caramels can be cooked a little hotter before they burn and this will harden them a bit. Just be careful, one minute they are just right and the next they are scorched. Let me know how they go JW.

#26 ·
Well JW, I told the truth, but not the whole truth. Actually, my first batch was too soft. It never did get anywhere near solid even after sitting in the garage for a night. But, I removed both batches when thermometer hit 275F. I used honey from 2 different jars and am now wondering if the composition of the honey may make a difference. J

#28 ·
The 3-4 batches that we made were probably a bit softer than store bought caramel, but that's the way we like it. It doesn't stick to my teeth and makes it easier to chew. We added nearly a cup of black walnuts to our last batch too.....oh yumm!!!

Just talking about it makes me hungry for it again......time to crank out another batch or two. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.