Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sugar Syrup on the bees question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JConnolly 
#1 ·
Thanks for looking over my question.

If I were to use an internal top feeder above the inner cover hole, and for whatever reason the feeder began to leak sugar water over the frames and onto the bees and I did not realize it, how much of an issue would this be, if any at all?

I thought I watched a video where the peacekeeper simply poured some excess sugar water directly over the frames, but I thought I should confirm beforehand.

Thanks,
b1rd

#2 ·
depends......
Speed of the drip
size of the container
size of the colony

a little on a lot of bees would not likely be an issue
a lot or a continuous drip on a few bees would not be good.

then there is the ant and robber thing, sugar Syrup all over and running out of the hive would likely add other problems.

if they IYO are starving a little poured may be fine, I would think a slow uptake would be better all around.

you want to just dump some on , or you don't have feeders? what is the impetus for this question.

how much leaked out? all of it,, ok then, is there a puddle on the bottom board? if they cleaned it up and there is no robbing no issue then..

GG

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have a few square plastic containers (Tupperware style with covers) that fit nicely within a Med box, and I was going to drill some 1/16 holes in the center and use that as an internal feeder. I thought it would make good use of the old containers, as well as be an easy way to re-fill them as needed.

My concern is the the heat, or a mistake might cause the cover seal to loosen, thus allowing the water to drain onto the bees.

#4 ·
valid concern
put the "hole" toward the corner of the tupperware.
Set the hole off to the corner of the hive.
it is warm enough they should travel to the corner, maybe use 2 per hive.
test them, fill with water and watch, ideally they drip a bit the the seal causes a vacuum.
if that does not happen then you know before the bees get to experience it.
1/16 seems big do you have 1/32?

older non tupperware may not seal as well.
I use pint jars in a medium with small nail holes in the lid, on top of an excluder. in the corners.

#6 ·
There are a few methods of doing it. I am trying the bucket method this year since I have so many hives. More or less I fill a 5 gallon bucket with 1:1 water/sugar, have little holes on the upper sides, and have corks floating inside so prevent drowning.

I am disenchanted with frame feeders. :/ Losing more bees than I'd like to them.

I tried the gallon 'safe feeder', but if that guy isn't level it will leak. :/

Don't discount the Boreman entrance feeder as it is dependable and easy to change out. Some say it encourages robbing, but I have enough of that without Boreman feeders. My only gripe is I am limited to the size of jars available. Not great if your hives are not located where you live or are in a remote place as they can chug a quart daily!

The top feeders are pretty nice. Good results with them. Easy to clean up.

#7 ·
Here's something to consider: I had honey that had dripped out of some frames before I spun them out that pooled in the bottom of the big tupperware container I had the frames in. Probably about 1 cup worth or so. I tipped it up on it's side to let the honey drip down and pool and left it in the yard for the bees. They found it but stupid me didn't realize they don't line up like a buffet, they just basically swarmed it. Long story short I had about 20-30 completely drowned bees totally immersed in honey. I felt terrible. I scooped up what bees I could that looked salvageable and put them back on the hive landing boards and other bees came out to tend to them. The "lost" bees I poured out onto newspaper and then rolled it up and threw it in the garbage. Fast forward 3 days to garbage day and I'm wondering why I hear buzzing in my garage. Lift the top off the garbage can and at least 20 bees fly out. I dumped the can to search for more (imagine that sight) and only found 2 dead ones. I couldn't believe it. So they can take a lot, if you were wondering...

#8 ·
It could be no big deal at all for a good strong hive that can defend itself against a robbing attack and can clean up the mess quickly. It could be a big problem for a weaker hive that can't defend as well against a determined robbing attack.
Or it could potentially drown the queen. don't ask me how I know these things.....

#9 ·
Thanks again for the replies.

I think I'm going to keep my eyes open when I'm at the Dollar Store and see if anythings looks good to me. And I did note the 1/32" drill size- Thanks.

I also saw the baggie method on a YouTube channel and i thought that might be something in a pinch.

b1rd

#11 ·
Have a look at this suggestion from Micheal Palmer. He's using paint cans but its the same general idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRkbSDqafG4&feature=youtu.be&t=236

I haven't tried it, but it seems like it should work very well. My favorite feeder is the Ceracel feeder. Last year I bought three of them and they are the cat's meow. I also have one of the round rapid feeders that I got to try it out. Its my second favorite way, and the only reason that one is not hands down my favorite feeder is that it only holds 2-1/2 kg of syrup. If you don't mind filling it daily then its a great inexpensive feeder and it does not drown bees. My other favorite way is to put three double wide frame feeders in a super and put the super on a hive. I can give them 15kg of syrup at once (~3 gallons) and they'll put it away in about three days. I prefer to feed fast, for the same reasons Palmer elucidates in the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.