Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Acorn vs. ???

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bdfarmer555 
#1 ·
On this forum, I read how good Acorn foundation is so I thought I'd look for some, as I'm going to be needing to buy 100 sheets of something soon.

I found it for $140 at Ohio Bee Box Company with free shipping. Anyone know of a better price someplace else?

Mann Lake has their Rite Cell for $115 for 100 and free shipping. Is Acorn worth the extra $$$?

On a funny note, I found Acorn at a site called Swarm Commander. They priced it at $1.65 per sheet. Didn't show a discount on quantity, so I put 100 sheets in the cart and looked. $165 for the lot, so no discount. Besides being ridiculously overpriced, the shipping charges were laughable. I kid you not, it says $937.50 for shipping! No other choices for shipping. I'm guessing they don't sell much there.

Anyway, what's the prevailing opinion on acorn vs anything else?

#2 ·
Mann Lake has their Rite Cell for $115 for 100 and free shipping. Is Acorn worth the extra $$$?

IMO yes. I've used over 100 sheets of Ritecell and just started my third 100 box of Acorn. I won't swap back. I've compared Acorn head to head in the same hives with wax foundation, Ritecell, rewaxed Ritecell and Foundationless. Not all in the same hive, but say 5 FL frames versus 5 Acorn in one hive, 5 Acorn vs 5 Ritecell in one hive. In every case, bees draw comb faster on Acorn than anything else I've tried. It has also extended wax making "season" for me by a few weeks earlier and a few weeks later without feed.

#4 ·
Brad, could you comment on the level of wax pre-applied to the Acorn foundation that you used, please? :)
Acorn Plastic Foundations are designed to last. Precision molded cells. Super rigid, no bowing or warping. [HIGHLIGHT]Available with standard, heavy or extra heavy wax.[/HIGHLIGHT] 9-1/8″ and 6-1/4″ sizes.

http://www.acornbee.com/foundations-2/

#6 ·
Bought 400+ Medium one piece double waxed frames directly from nick this spring. They are much heavier built than the Mann lake standard plastic frames I'd bought before. They are comparable, if not better than pierco frames.

I usually paint additional wax on plastic frames, even though they're already waxed. The double wax from acorn was great. Saved me a lot of time. Bees jumped right on it. Not quite as much as I paint on, but more than 2x what I got from Mann lake or pierco single waxed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.