Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Orange sky from smoke - bee behavior

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RayMarler 
#1 ·
There have been discussions here on the forums and on YouTube about whether smoke from the fires has affected the bees.

My personal experience is that the smoke has not been an issue. However, when the sky looks like that in the photo the bees don't seem to be able to orient. They come out of the hive and circle around sort of like an orientation flight, then go back in. This photo was mid morning on 9/9/2020 in Redding, CA. There was no color magic done on this photo, it really was like that. One of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

Sky Nature Tree Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

See less See more
#3 ·
My bet is they may think it's dusk, but that's just a guess. Interesting in the 'bees can't see red', every year I get a TON of bees on my red poppies, wonder what attracts them to the poppies, if it's not the red color.

Hope you're safe and sound down there KellyW. I was listening on the scanner/computer when Zogg first hit, man, frustrating to hear people scrambling to get out, and the cops scrambling to get to them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Akademee. That is interesting about the red spectrum. I knew about that but hadn't connected that fact with the orange sky.

Hogback Honey, thanks for your concern. I am barely in the city limits on the west side so we are among the Redding residents that are closest to the fire. Just glad the wind was blowing it away from us. We had to evacuate 2 years ago for the Carr fire so we were keeping a close eye on the Zogg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.