Feeding and Bee Weight Math

Default Feeding and Bee Weight Math

I have been feeding and weighing and sometimes weight gain seems to be stalled and even dropped. Colonies are still brooding but die off of summers foragers must also be occurring. So far I have been seeing an intiall gain of about one pound for each pound of sugar fed but there seems to be diminishing returns.

Does anyone have a ball park figure on the weight of a thousand bees? I am guessing raw figures of losing 40,000 old forager bees and replacing with 20,000

Does the figure of 20,000 bees ring a bell for going into winter population?
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feeding and Bee Weight Math

I've read that a 3-lb package of bees is about 15,000. No idea how accurate that is.

According to this article - At 3500 bees to the pound, a full, corner-to-corner frame of brood will produce two pounds of bees, and combs with reduced brood areas will often produce 1.5 pounds of bees once all the worker brood emerges.

https://americanbeejournal.com/beeke...%20per%20frame.

3500 bees to a pound
    11mg of sugar a day per bee so close to 1/2 kg per day for 40,000 bees (0.44kg)
    2.5 pounds per frame of brood produced

Just got back form an out yard of 2 singles, a double, and 2 nucs that I have put over 100lbs of sugar on in the last mounth......dry as a bone.. pollen but almost no nectar, the drought has been that bad here I have no clue how much I have fed to the main yard....
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

Thanks for those figures. It is amazing how they can pack away the syrup when they are brooding heavy and trying to put away winter stores. Some pollen is coming in but the bees are really mooching for anything sweet.

I have lost track of total sugar purchased but in the past has usually worked out close to 40 lbs a colony. If I didnt feed though, net honey harvest would be quite small. Three hives that I didnt split each made an honest 100 lbs of honey. They ran as single box but I have let them come back up to double deep after pulling supers. I chickened out that they were going to swarm. I am a thinking of making more bees and less honey next season.
    Frank