Lots of pollen coming in

Default Lots of pollen coming in

Just wondering but how much pollen can a two deep hive need? I'm watching my two hive in the middle of a very strong fall flow and about a third of the returning bees are loaded with pollen, yellow, white and orange. I assume that this is normal, they know what they need and they have both been big producers of honey with 100 lbs already taken from the mediums on top and between them, seven more supers just about to harvest. Still, what the heck are they doing with all this pollen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lots of pollen coming in

Natural instinct is to hoard(humans too).
    Every spring I have to cull pollen bound frames from my bottom box to ensure the Q has room to lay.

I know some folks put a small or medium super under the brood box as just a pollen box. Part of Walt's Checkerboarding technique.

I've been reading the library of Walt's papers and have taken away a lot of useful information. My problem is that I have two deep brood boxes with 3-4 drawn out mediums on top. The brood frames are loaded right now with eggs and capped brood-seems like everyday there's a swarm of new bees taking an orientation flight and the brood are all at a hundred pounds each-not sure if my back could stand another manipulation. They're all wall to wall comb, pollen, honey and brood. One of the hives has a screened bottom board and it's loaded with pollen right now that dropped down. Maybe that's an argument for standardizing the box sizes but I'm a traditionalist I guess. I love Walt's work!