Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Over-wintering in Nucs

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  joebeewhisperer 
#1 ·
I'm scheduling Zoom sessions for a group of bee clubs in southeast Tennessee. For October, I'd like to find a speaker with expertise in over-wintering in nucs or resource hives, in the style of Michael Palmer. Who better than Michael Palmer himself, right? Unfortunately, I have failed in every attempt made to contact him. I even PM'd him here on the forums.

Who would you recommend to espouse this method? I'd like to book a top-tier talent. So far our clubs have heard from Dr. Samuel Ramsey, Randy Oliver, and EAS Master Beekeeper Kent Williams, biologist Shannon Trimboli, with Dr. Tom Seeley scheduled for September.

I would appreciate recommendations. If there is a youtube or other video available of your recommended speaker to evaluate, all the better. Thanks!

#2 ·
Bluto,

Nice Screen Name BTW.

Why not play the Palmer U Tube if that is the Expert approach you "wanted"
Then have a brief discussion on the points the group feels need clarity.

Any one who has had bees for 10 Years and Has used NUCs can be the guide and answer most questions.

The concept is not terribly complicated, And well explained by the MP u tubes, and if any one wants a refresher they simply re watch. so notes are online line already.

The need for warm blooded presenter , is no longer here IMO. Beside you are doing a Zoom so what gives, virtual in the presenter as well.

I'll play the Utube and comment for 1000 Bucks. let me know the date. We can book it today :)

GG

#3 ·
I understand, but having the talent there to do Q&A after the presentation is of value, something not really possible with a video. If we were just going to play the video, we'd likely get more participation by emailing the link and letting our membership watch at their leisure, no meeting necessary.

I do understand your point. Having a live presenter, with members all logged in simultaneously, provides a bit of the feeling members got at in-person meetings. We are all missing the socializing as well as the information. The zoom sessions with live presenters so far have been a decent substitute.

Your generous offer is appreciated, but I must respectfully decline. :) Another aside, the zoom sessions have allowed our clubs to bring in speakers we could never hope to afford to bring in live. The most we've spent so far is $250, and as little as $75. Split between our 4 clubs, it is amazingly inexpensive.

Popeye fan, are you? :)

#4 ·
yes a popeye fan I am.

the concept of the Side by side over winter NUC, is a bit late this season to leverage any gain for members. Up until feb this "could" be a topic for discussion.

Michael is likely in the thick of Honey harvest, then winter prep.

I would back burner this topic ,,continue to try to connect with him for maybe a Jan or Feb Zoom, when he has more bandwidth.
You realize he is a commercial bee keeper Right? and it is August.

Perhaps a Harvest topic or Winter topic would have more relevance now , offering more late summer relevant info now, and still leave your "wish" topic on the table for later.

Good idea , IMO , maybe try for a better time for the speaker.

GG

#5 ·
you might give Dr Meagan Milbrath with Michigan State a try
she did a sare grant on overwintering nucs and traveled about as part of the grants outreach portion giveing talks (I got to see her presentation @ a CO state meeting a few years back)
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...510002000326/Milbrath_SustainableFallNucs.pdf

Since your in Tenn
have you thought about Kamon Reynolds ?
how you overwinter a nuc in Tenn is going to be different then zone3 VT..
also to note in my head this is the kind of talk for spring summer, when people can hear it, go home and put it in to practice while its fresh in there head... they forget things when waiting 6 mounths ...

#8 ·
Yes!! I was set to contact her but read on her web page she is not accepting any speaking requests, even via computer, outside of Michigan at present. Bummer!

Kamon Reynolds is a nice young man. I'm not sure he has the experience with the subject matter we are seeking however.

Many folks here have just completed late season splits. so it would seem timely. Wintering in nucs is relatively new here. Double-deeps has been the rule for most.

Bob Binnie is someone I wanted to get to speak to our group, he has a video on checking winter nucs, but I haven't seen where he has a talk on the subject. At present, I'm thinking MIchael Bush or Dr. Larry Connor might be options.

#10 ·
Bluto "I understand, but having the talent there to do Q&A after the presentation is of value" As a sixth yer newbie I agree with you whole heartedly. Some of the best tips and ideas came from Q&A time - enjoyed Palmer very much. I have an off-the-wall idea for you.

I have an alternate but pertinent idea, I believe, but many may not like it. Peruse your local Universities to see if you can find a speaker, mechanical engineering or physicist who is at least aware of beehives, to address Relative Humidity, it's relationship to temperature, diffusion and material absorption and if possible specualte on the impact to a wintering hive or nuc. When it comes to a nuc, the issue and problems are very likely amplified. I am wintering two single nucs this year which were started in August. I do have contrarian ways. I allso have been reading, searching via Google Scholar and conducting very coarse hive tests. It gets very interesting when you find an article on why a couple of big hives died in winter. Upon investigation in a lab the cause-of-death was concluded to be dehydration. Unfortunately the author/investigator died shortly thereafter. I am working, slowly, on a drop of water's journey through a hive, multiple avenues, out of curiosity. The fact that we do have electronic humidity and temperature sensors as a tool which can fit on a frame cracks open a whole new world understanding.

#13 ·
I have an alternate but pertinent idea, I believe, but many may not like it. Peruse your local Universities to see if you can find a speaker, mechanical engineering or physicist who is at least aware of beehives, to address Relative Humidity, it's relationship to temperature, diffusion and material absorption and if possible specualte on the impact to a wintering hive or nuc. When it comes to a nuc, the issue and problems are very likely amplified. I am wintering two single nucs this year which were started in August. I do have contrarian ways. I allso have been reading, searching via Google Scholar and conducting very coarse hive tests. It gets very interesting when you find an article on why a couple of big hives died in winter. Upon investigation in a lab the cause-of-death was concluded to be dehydration. Unfortunately the author/investigator died shortly thereafter. I am working, slowly, on a drop of water's journey through a hive, multiple avenues, out of curiosity. The fact that we do have electronic humidity and temperature sensors as a tool which can fit on a frame cracks open a whole new world understanding.
Our club has a member who is a teaching professor at the local university (TN-Chattanooga). She went through our mentorship program 2 years ago and has agreed to lead it in 2021. So we do have a good contact in her. However, I'm thinking our membership is less likely interested in the what may happen and hy something happens and and more about the "do this, do that" that someone with experience offers. Very interesting take, I just don't know how well that might play for our crowd. Thanks for your input!

#12 ·
I'd like to know when it makes sense. I could overwinter medium size colonies. In spring, I could move frames to make some hives nucs and others large.

#15 ·
Kamon Reynolds is a nice young man. I'm not sure he has the experience with the subject matter we are seeking however.
Do not discount Kamon's age. He has been a beekeeper since he was a teenager and knows a lot more than many beekeepers twice his age. I hope to get him to come to Virginia and give a presentation for our bee club sometime in the future.
LOL
We see this time and time again, in many industries. For some reason people feel someone from out of state is better than a local

#19 ·
I've learned a lot from Kamon (only know him from YouTube). And I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4-way (1/2 frame) 4 over 4 unit to winter 8 queens (instead of trying to bank), based on Mr. Palmer's description in a forum.

I'm amazed that the more experienced commercial guys have time to do any of the talks, videos etc. I realize it generates business, but I've never met a group of individuals so willing to help at every level. Hope your Zoom goes well, and post a schedule. I am an hour North of Chattanooga in the mountains so definitely interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.