To treat all hives or just some...

Default To treat all hives or just some...

I find conflicting advice about whether to treat all hives in the beeyard at once for varroa, or to treat piecemeal. The guidance for Formic Pro says to treat all at same time. The state apiarist says to treat each hive only when mite counts reach threshold. It seems to me that it's a given, at this time of year, that mite numbers are going to increase, after the flow has ended. That's just the life cycle of mites in bee colonies.

It's a fine threshold between finding 2 mites in a sugar roll and finding 3. Three is supposed to be the threshold for treating, in my area. I am inclined to go ahead and treat all hives, with the expectation that waiting will only cause an increase in numbers. Of course, that way I will lose the possibility of hygienic behaviors keeping mites in check.

Temps this time of year are usually too high for using Formic Pro, and we're having a nice little cool break over this week, so I'm inclined to treat all while I can, knowing that it may get hot again and then treatment will be impossible for a month. Asking for folks' opinions based upon their own experience. TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: To treat all hives or just some...

if you have one or two hives, you can play around with the apiarist recommendation, If you have any number of hives, you treat them all when the weather lets you. Then again Formic Pro is trying to sell the most product it can If I have high mites and or the opening in the weather, I treat them all.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

yup what mike said.
    I always treat to a schedule and every hive gets treated simultaneously.

Treat all when weather allows. Reason- drift, robbing, mite bombs and drones going where they please. We are approaching the time where varroa treatment is for all the marbles. I will start in August and do a series in late fall OAV. I am relentless until I see as close to zero going into winter. Inspection boards will be checked daily.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

That confirms my thoughts. Thanks. One more question for any commenter who might double back or who might read all the comments in this thread: has anyone used a Formic Pro single hive treatment that has been stored just in the single layer of foil wrap, not in the outer zip lock envelope that these come in? I assumed the foil wrap is impervious but maybe not. I had a foil wrapped pack of two (for one hive treatment) sitting outside of any more layers of packaging since spring. Expiration date: 7/21. When I opened it, the substrate looked a darker brown than usual and the acid fumes weren't as overwhelming as with those freshly taken from another batch still stored in ziplock. I put it on the hive but am going to call the company's tech support tomorrow and ask their advice. Sure, it seems like it may be worth just going ahead and replacing with the more potent ones, but I hate to waste a treatement if it's still good.

Anyone have experience with this? Just asking, FWIW.

since they hadn't expired and were still in the foil, I would think they would be good, I have had some look darker even within the same larger pack, and the pro don't really give off all that much formic compared to the old formic.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan