We three queens

Thread: We three queens

Default We three queens

Today I checked my resource hive (4 over 4, deeps) for queenrightness. It is 22 days since capped queen cells and lack of eggs indicated queenlessness.

In the bottom box, 2nd frame I pulled had eggs, properly laid (not LW). Cool, they are queenright, so I start putting it back together. I saw the queen on that frame as I was putting it back in.

The top box was off to the side, sitting on the top cover. I decided to take a peek at it, to see if there was any brood/egg there. What? A second queen, a bit smaller than the first, but definately a queen. Pondering that, I set that frame aside, and pulled another from the top box. And yet another small queen!

Not knowing what to do, I put it all back together, to let them sort it out. In hindsight, maybe I should have dispatched the two smaller queens, but I cannot say for sure which one was laying.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by bushpilot; 08-01-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: We three queens

You did the right thing. When in doubt the bees are the best arbiters of the situation.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    Thoughts?
    I am very glad I made few foam mini-nucs - these work great as parking places for queens while taking minimal resources.
    What used to take me a whole full-size nuc, now a cup of bees can do.
    Using a full size nuc (full-size hive - worse yet) is expensive, to just hold a dark-horse/virgin queen

Unsure if you have the benefit of having mini nucs or a similar compact equipment, but I'd pull those "small" queens into holding nucs and let them possibly mate and then make my calls on which ones to keep.
    Great to make informed decisions.

I now need more mating nucs - ALL are used up and I am out.
    One is used a parking place for a backup mated queen.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

No mating nucs here, and for that matter no spare nucs right now either!

I'll look into mating nucs to see if they fit into my program.
    Last edited by bushpilot; 08-02-2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Stupid spell corrector!
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.