Queens Are Reluctant To Lay In Honey Frames?

Default Queens Are Reluctant To Lay In Honey Frames?

I recently read somewhere, maybe here, that queens avoid laying in comb that has previously held honey. I have never heard this before, nor have I experienced it, but I use deeps for brood and mediums for honey. I usually use a QE, but not in the winter and the queen has come up to lay in the mediums. Also, when I overwinter, most deep frames contain honey and in the spring, she happily lays up those frames.
    So, obviously the queen will lay in comb that previously held honey, but does she prefer brood comb, or is this hogwash? J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queens Are Reluctant To Lay In Honey Frames?

I don't use QEs and I sometimes have queens move up into my honey supers and lay. I think it's a matter of where she has room.

The queen will lay in previous honey frames. Sounds like you answered your question.

She will use them but If you stick 5 yellow brown brood combs in a box with 5 recently extracted new honey combs she will show a big preference to the brood combs in my observations.
    Getting the bees out of the honey supers easily. https://youtu.be/ipfvW-2t_HA

Thanks All. So from Kamon's experience, it appears accurate that she does prefer brood comb. Kamon, you run deeps for honey supers. Do you try to keep the brood and honey frames segregated? J