Ventilation and Moisture Control - AGAIN - Horizontal Langstroth Hives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ventilation and Moisture Control - AGAIN - Horizontal Langstroth Hives

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post

LJ
    LJ, Do you recall where you came up with your entrance (bottom) and exhaust (top) areas: 2x22mm DIA, 1x22mm DIA, respectively?

https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-bu...e-design.shtml
    On this design he recommends 8 total 1/2" diameter ventilation holes along the top frame, 1.57 in2. LJ, your exit hole is 0.59 in2. He has two entrances, 4 in x 0.5 in, or 4 in2 total. I do not know if he recommends plugging any of these holes in the winter.
    Last edited by ThunderboltFarm; 08-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ventilation and Moisture Control - AGAIN - Horizontal Langstroth Hives

I have been using this design (see LJ's drawing) for few winters now.
    If any problems I have is - too much ventilation.

DSCN6472_Mod.jpg
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

"What is the driving force " - My answer: pressure differential caused by external aerodynamic flow characteristics - likely turbulent and unsteady. Also, question how much water do bes need in winter? Where do they get it from? Can the bees be dehydrated / desiccated ?

I run Langstroth hives, no top vents, 2-inch XPS insualtion sleeves, canvass inner cover, additional 2-inch added to top cover, restricted entrance holes but variable aperture for summer and winter - finally it, the insulation, is now staying on all year long.

Ask yourself this about summer conditions. Is a hive warmer or cooler in summer with insulation? Daytime and at night? What promotes honey capping rates? A lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderboltFarm View Post
    LJ, Do you recall where you came up with your entrance (bottom) and exhaust (top) areas: 2x22mm DIA, 1x22mm DIA, respectively?
    Sure - but it's probably the most unscientific answer you'll ever hear: one of the first hives I built on my return to beekeeping following retirement was a KTBH (Kenyan Top Bar Hive) - it was common practice with those to use 22mm holes for an entrance, which is the size of our common wine corks - and for no other reason.
    Then, when I started making more conventional hives I stayed with this idea, and initially employed 5 holes for an entrance, corking-off several of these according to the season. But over the years I've gradually downsized the number and have pretty-much settled on two holes for full-sized hives and nuc-box stacks, and just the one for stand-alone nucs. I made the exit a single 22mm hole in case it was ever wanted as a top entrance, making provision to have it's size reduced in order to cut-down the airflow if necessary.

So in essence, I've determined an appropriate size of entrance simply by observing the bees over the years and what their needs have been at this location. Location is an important consideration as the nectar flow here is very modest indeed, and an almost non-existent honey crop normally results. (This year has been an exception)
    I think larger holes, or several more smaller ones would certainly be needed in order to avoid traffic jams in honey-producing areas.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12