Just saw the first Monarch Butterfly of the Season-can Autumn be far behind?

Default Just saw the first Monarch Butterfly of the Season-can Autumn be far behind?

I was working in the yard and just saw the first Monarch Butterfly of the year. Seems early from my recollection, maybe a one-off but can Autumn be all that far off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Just saw the first Monarch Butterfly of the Season-can Autumn be far behind?

I have had them for more than week, maybe two- three weeks. First ever sighting of a Monarch Butterfly on a Milkweed plant - often on Butterfly bushes. I have been encouraging Milkweed patches to grow in various areas. Enjoy!

Default Re: Just saw the first Monarch Butterfly of the Season-can Autumn be far behind?

Larry, your recollection is off. Monarchs arrive in the North in Spring and leave in the Fall. Unfortunately, the fact that you are just seeing one is testament to their decline.
    I have seen far fewer this year despite the abundance of milkweed. J

off topic, but I had a black witch moth at my house last night. It had a 6 inch wingspan and I have not seen them before.
    3 Hives, Started in 2017, Learning as I go
    My data logger

Wow that's eatin' size!

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Larry, your recollection is off. Monarchs arrive in the North in Spring and leave in the Fall. Unfortunately, the fact that you are just seeing one is testament to their decline.
    I have seen far fewer this year despite the abundance of milkweed. J
    I'm much further south than you, they come by in the spring and then their pretty much gone until September down here. I see them in the Summer up at our house in Midcoast Maine. Seeing them in the beginning of August around here is rare. I agree though, they are in serious decline and I hope with the increases in Milkweed that they rebound.

Oh, they are on their way back south where you are. Sorry, for some reason location is not displayed when I am on my tablet. I should just shut my mouth if something is location dependant, but didn't think of them heading the other way so assumed you were just seeing them. J

@elmer, that's eatin size! Biggest I see around here is the luna moth which is really beautiful. I have seen similar moths around here but its out of the black witch moth range, so unsure what it is. J

The last few years I have been lucky enough to see them laying eggs in the milkweed and I have raised them in a butterfly tent.
    This year I only have 3.
    And yes, it is late this year. Usually the female shows up beginning of July or so.

Also Anise Swallowtail caterpillars get in my fennel. 5 of those this year.

It's fun. Kids love it.