Sugar Purchase

Thread: Sugar Purchase

Default Sugar Purchase

I would appreciate knowing where you purchase your sugar. I need hundredsof pounds and used to purchase at Costco but was told the qaunity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sugar Purchase

I buy pure cane sugar from Walmart at a cost of $0.376 per pound in 10# bags. It recently increased from $0.320 per pound. I usually get 15 to 20 bags at a time.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I stock up for the whole year at Walmart when on sale. $1 (CAD) per 2kg bags.

Here in NC there is the Domino Sugar processing plant. You can go and get the 67.6% solids pure cane syrup (same as 2:1) in 5 gallon buckets for $8 if you bring your own, or $11 if you let them sell you a bucket. Now, I am not suggesting that you come to NC, but to actually look for a sweetener company near you. I can't imagine they process all the sugar in one place and ship it all over the country. If you can't find Domino see what brands are at your local grocery and see if they have a refinery near you. You can also look for processors of HFCS, but I leave it to you to decide how you feel about that. But if you have to buy it at a store, Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's and also a Bakery or Restaurant supply will carry 25 lb or possibly larger bags at a reasonable price. If you do a google search for

bulk sugar illinois

You will find lots of possibilities, some may be near you. Try adding your city or nearest large one.

It may be worth trying a local restaurant supply place. I dont think they have limits on the sugar quantity at the one by me.
    3 Hives, Started in 2017, Learning as I go
    My data logger

Ijust looked up Walmart they have granulated C& H Cane Sugar, 4# for $2.67. It is for poick up only. I will run over there today and see if I can purchase some.

I just googled the Walmart in Lake Zurich. They have the Great Value brand pure cane at the same price as my local store for the 10# bags. The 25# bags are $8.88 each.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Last November/December Walmart had 25 lbs bags on sale for $9. I bought 6 bags and only used 3. It's stable and if I can keep the mice out of it I'll use it this winter and next year. They had 10 lbs bag on sale for Christmas too but it was easier for me to get bigger bags. I'll see what they sell for in 2020.

Usually Walmart, Great Value in whatever size is cheapest. Here the best value is not the 25 lb bags, but rather the 4 and 10 pounders.

These days, Target is beating Walmart here on the 4 pound, but I think that is an oddity that will go away.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    Ijust looked up Walmart they have granulated C& H Cane Sugar, 4# for $2.67. It is for poick up only. I will run over there today and see if I can purchase some.
    Ouch! That is 67 cents/lb look for their great value brand as mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    Ouch! That is 67 cents/lb look for their great value brand as mentioned before.
    Yeah, I don't buy above 0.50 / lb.,and really buy when it is significantly less than that.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    The same is sold at Aldi's for $1.67 in my neck of the woods. For me, I wait for the sales and buy a year's supply.

EB

Absinthe, where is the domino processing plant? I'm in Hickory and it sure would save me alot of time come September and October. If it is close of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dryflies View Post
    Absinthe, where is the domino processing plant? I'm in Hickory and it sure would save me alot of time come September and October. If it is close of course.
    500 Domino Ct
    Charlotte, NC 28205

Just bought some 10 lb bags from Walmart this morning $4.99 each. Benton Harbor, MI. That's 49.9 cents per pound Up quite a bit from last year. I assume it's covid related, or that's the excuse anyway

Quote Originally Posted by dryflies View Post
    Well, howdy neighbor!!

Here are the details:
    The location is at:
    500 Domino Ct.
    Charlotte, NC
    Phone: 704-576-3835
    They are open 7-4 daily and sometimes on the weekends
    5 Gallons of 67.5% solids pure cane syrup
    Cost: $8 if you bring your own food grade bucket
    or: $11 if you buy theirs
    If you will need a lot (more than 10 buckets) you will need to make some kind of special arrangements.
    Funny, if you call them on the phone they answer "Hello?" ��
    Also, when this information was shared someone had said that if you went over to the ice cream place in Mooresville, you could buy their used food grade buckets for $1. They no longer provide that service. But if you go to your local grocery store (that has a bakery) you can get the icing buckets for free. But you will have to wash them out yourself. ��
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
    500 Domino Ct
    Charlotte, NC 28205
    You beat me to the response But I responded anyway with just a few more details in case it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    You beat me to the response But I responded anyway with just a few more details in case it helps.
    Your additional info was helpful!

Thank you to both of you. I will definitely be calling them soon to set something up. I have to go to Belmont about once an month anyways so I will just go on one of those days. I may even take orders for my local club.