A reflection on beekeeping by a newbee

Default A reflection on beekeeping by a newbee

Bee keeping has the benefit of giving one the time to reflect on one's self and one's actions in relationship with life. As a new beek, I see a dead bee in the grass, a caterpillar on a bottom board or anything else that occurs at the hives that you're not sure about-you go into a full panic and running around in circles. It's kind of like when you have your first kid (I have 4). The first newborn sneezes and you end up running to the hospital. By the time the 4th kid is born, the house could be on fire and you look at Number 4, who's sitting on the couch playing a video game and say "Hey, you, wants yer name, where's the cat?"

I am fortunate that my daughter, the 4th, is more like her mom. She walks up to the hive, pops the top covers and pulls out a frame or two-no veil, coat or gloves as I stand by in a moon suit like a dummie. "Bees are good, we should another super in a week or so-leave them alone." I guess I should remember her name...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A reflection on beekeeping by a newbee

You should call her Number One if she is your right hand girl. Like Picard refers to Riker. J

First, new kid:
    Pacifier drops on the floor
    BOIL FOR 15 MINUTES

3rd-4th kid:
    Dad, I'm bleeding really bad
    NOT ON THE GOOD CARPET YOU'RE NOT
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

They have names?!?
    Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut.

Oh yes, they all have names, I call them all "Freckles" to avoid confusion in the hive. I originally was going to call them "Stripes" but they objected and they seem to like "Freckles" the best. Or do you mean the children?

I'm not a 100% on that but their Mother calls the oldest one "You're late for dinner" the second one is "What time did you get home last night?" the third one is "Are you ever going to clean up your room?" and the youngest one is: "Do you think I'm made of money." As far as the dog and cat, it's "Get back here you" and "It peed on the carpet again." respectively. The kids all call me "Can I have $20?"

It seems to work and as far as I can tell, none of them are in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBud View Post
    none of them are in prison.
    Are you sure? I thought that was what New Jersey was.
    Zone 6B

Funny stuff Larry! J

....... She walks up to the hive, pops the top covers and pulls out a frame or two-no veil, coat or gloves as I stand by in a moon suit like a dummie. "Bees are good, we should another super in a week or so-leave them alone." I guess I should remember her name...
    There is still plenty of time before that first sting right between the eyes.
    Other than that, having mild bees is something everyone wants.

I wish one of my kid was what I used to be - the smoker boy.
    No interest.
    It is going to be a smoker wife if anything.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

She's been stung more than a few times-usually blames herself. When we first set the nucs, it was cold and the were extremely docile. She has listened to a lot of beekeepers, especial the woman (Master Beekeeper) who ran the class we took and said that gloves were not always needed. She learned about "not always" when the weather got warmer and the bees started to have honey comb as the supers went on. Unless we're doing a monthly deep inspection, no gloves. She thinks she the bee whisperer I guess. The phot is from a couple of days ago before we added more supers. She picked the colors-the hive and the smurf hair-its a teenager thing. She wants to be a pilot and has almost 20 hours in a Cessna 172-flight school next year?

IMG_3023[3730].jpg

She's been stung more than a few times-usually blames herself. When we first set the nucs, it was cold and the were extremely docile. She has listened to a lot of beekeepers, especial the woman (Master Beekeeper) who ran the class we took and said that gloves were not always needed. She learned about "not always" when the weather got warmer and the bees started to have honey comb as the supers went on. Unless we're doing a monthly deep inspection, no gloves. She thinks she the bee whisperer I guess. The phot is from a couple of days ago before we added more supers. She picked the colors-the hive and the smurf hair-its a teenager thing. She wants to be a pilot and has almost 20 hours in a Cessna 172-flight school next year?

IMG_3023[3730].jpg
    If anything, should protect the eyes.
    Seriously.
    This is not about being cool and whispering to the bees.
    A well placed sting could very well affect the future pilot carrier.
    I wear a mosquito net around regardless of my reading glasses.
    (Of course, the mosquitoes are terrible here anyway; impossible to work without a netting).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Thank you, never thought of that-very good advice!