Comb stuck too two frames

Default Comb stuck too two frames

Hello all, I have a bit of a problem with the bees building comb across two frames and it looks like it has happened in more than 1 location in the upper brood box. When I tried to pull a frame out it tore and started leaking honey down to the lower brood box and started dripping out the front of the hive. I stopped the inspection and closed up the hive. I have ordered some new frames this time with foundation. At this point I am thinking wired frames and a starter strip is not the best choice for the brood chamber. My worry at the moment is that there is so much nectar being brought in where will they put it if they have to draw out new comb? Am I at risk of causing the hive to becoming honey bound? Or am I over thinking this.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Comb stuck too two frames

over thinking, under planning... who knows.
    May need to box level manage and either work the box down and out in the spring, or up and off to cut and strain.
    time here is not your friend, if they need space give it to them, deal with this next year in the spring, IMO
    it is a bit late in BC to re start them on foundation.

they will fix what you broke in a day or 3.
    do the lift test to see if they have enough to get them to spring.
    if you feed some could be in the comb you cut out so keep that in mind.
    you could in the spring treat it like a cutout, cut the comb out rubber band them into a frame, you did state wire was involved so that may be a PITA to cut out.
    you state upper box, You could try to under place a brood box to put this one up in stores.

If me I would just leave it and note it in the book of hive secrets.
    in the spring it may be a dead out , easy to fix
    it may be lots smaller easier to fix.
    could split out some good comb, and take the bad comb and shake it out and replace.

if you think it is only 2 combs, you may have time on a good goldenrod flow to get it rebuild, not sure it is worth the chance, the bees are ok with it the inspections are not.

just make it a lesson and deal with it in the spring, is what I would do.

GG