Solids At Bottom of Jar

Default Solids At Bottom of Jar

I've rarely had any honey to crystalize. If it has, it has done so at the top, usually just around the edges.

But, last December as I was checking a hive to be sure they had enough food, I found the hive almost completely empty. Empty of bees that is. But with LOTS of honey. There were no pests. No wax moths in the hive. No SHB. Might have been 50 bees.

Anyway....I took the honey out, extracted it and put it in jars.

I still have most of it and when I picked up a jar of it just now, I found there is about 1/2" of something solid at the bottom of the jar. Looks like wax. At least it is the color of wax. Very light tan in color.

See pictures.

What is it?

gbfgfg.jpg
    001.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Solids At Bottom of Jar

Looks like the honey I extracted from a friend's hive two years ago. The honey had started to crystallize in the frames and that is how it looked when it was jarred. It also was hard to get through the fine mesh strainer, but that is another story.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Is it okay? Anything wrong with it?

I suppose I could set the jars in a warm pan of water. Would that take care of it?

Fleetwood271,

I had the same thing happen to me. I fed my bees sugar blocks to get them through the winter in December and extracted in March. I was thinking that this happened due to that sugar that was in the frames. I've reheated a crystalized quart and it went back to liquid but now it's starting to recrystalize from the bottom up just like your photos. I guess I'll just reheat as needed.

Definitely just crystallization. Sometimes honey from different nectar sources or collected/processed at a different part of the year can lead to honeys that are different in density. When us hobbyists extract, we tend to not spend time completely homogenizing our harvests so we can end up with 'layers' so to speak in our honey buckets and jars. What it looks like here is that you had a honey that had a lower water content (higher sugar content) making it more dense that the honey above it and it sank (slowly) to the bottom. Since it has a lower water content, it is more prone to crystallization and is more dense, putting it on the bottom.

Perfectly safe, unless the honey jar smells like yeast or something, but fermentation tends to collect stuff on the top of the honey, not the bottom, very few normal organic things sink in honey!
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    Fleetwood271,

I had the same thing happen to me. I fed my bees sugar blocks to get them through the winter in December and extracted in March. I was thinking that this happened due to that sugar that was in the frames. I've reheated a crystalized quart and it went back to liquid but now it's starting to recrystalize from the bottom up just like your photos. I guess I'll just reheat as needed.
    Thank You.