Acorn single dipped or doubled dipped

Default Acorn single dipped or doubled dipped

Is there much difference in the drawing out rate between the single and double dipped acorn foundation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Acorn single dipped or doubled dipped

more wax more better, it seems, whether its worth the extra cost thought is up to you.
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

I single dip and find I get 0.10 lb/deep sheet. Wax foundation is 7 sheets/lb. Single dipped is sufficient

I do not dip, I roll, and find that I use about a pound of wax per 10 frame deep, just like Michael's single dip. That is plenty. 10 deep frames only contain 2# of wax when fully drawn, so the bees are half way there from the get go.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I get the double dipped (heavy wax) from Acorn, 1500 so far this year...they do get drawn nicely but I have never tried the single dip so I have nothing to compare to.

Are you asking about buying foundation and 'dipping' it yourself or buying 'single waxed' vs 'double waxed' from Acorn?
    I may be wrong but I doubt if the manufacturers actually dip it but likely spray on the wax. I can guarantee that the conventionally, single coated is sprayed. If you look closely you can see where the droplets hit and the areas missed.
    I think that some of the replies are from folks who dip their own....and some from those who buy already waxed from the manufacturer.
    I haven't gotten any from Acorn but have gotten 'triple waxed' from Pierco. Same idea. The bees definitely draw it more readily than conventionally waxed Mann Lake foundation.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Is there much difference in the drawing out rate between the single and double dipped acorn foundation.
    One spray of wax apparently. LOL

Is it worth it somewhat depends upon the time of year and your local. I do see a difference on a single sheet between the heavier sprayed areas and the thinner sections. When they are really waxing it probably does not matter. When the drawing is slow it definitely does.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Bees have been drawing out my single coated acorn just fine. The single coat from acorn is better than a lot of the other waxed coatings around.

Double Dip not much of a bump in cost. I order deeps in sheets and shallows in plastic, never had a problem with burr comb like other
    suppliers (aka ML) and their so called double wax. In fact I'm in the process of assembling 5000 deep frames now. Yes it's time consuming.

I have never purchased the double heavy from Acorn, just their 'standard' heavy waxed.

I will state this: the first year I ran Acorn, I took three over wintered nucs and moved them into ten frame boxes, and put Acorn foundation on one side and Mann Lake on the other. All three drew Acorn before touching ML.
    This year: when I boxed nucs, I did the same thing but with Acorn and rolled over with my wax Acorn. They pulled the foundation with rolled wax first yet unlike the ML did not ignore the 'standard' of the Acorn.

I use the Acorn double wax. The bees like it and draw comb fairly quickly. I have not used Acorn's single wax. But for what it's worth I can tell you that the bees draw Acorn double wax much more quickly than Dadant waxed foundation.

hat said, bee still need motivation to draw comb--a flow, a needy queen, or sugar syrup. But under these conditions I have found double wax is drawn out pretty quickly.
    Year 4
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.

I have only had Acorn heavy wax, but have compared it side by side to other brands of regular wax. There always has been a noticeable difference in drawing out. Acorn always seems to have drawn areas of wax ahead of need and not yet filled, vs the other only being drawn when absolutely necessary.