Insurance

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Can anyone recommend a company for insurance for beekeepers? I am not concerned with crop or apiary loss but rather liability thet may result from someone who purchases my honey. One lawsuit can wipe out all financial resources. For several years i had a policy with State Farm but after reading it it did not provide for apiary coverage. My agent said he spoke with the underwriter but that doesn't hold wait in a trial court.
    Last edited by Plannerwgp; 07-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Insurance

Good luck. I've researched this multiple times with no definitive answer. It's part of why I am selling bugs and using honey to gain access to more outyards.

Maybe try looking into an umbrella coverage. It would probably also be worth looking into the food safety laws in your state, you may have some protection there.
    3 Hives, Started in 2017, Learning as I go
    My data logger

if you sell honey normally your home owners ins. doesn't cover businesses. I have mine at the Hartford, not the best not the worst. others that I know about are Beekeeping Insurance Services and Texas Insurance & Financial Services, Inc. I tried the texas ins. and their policy was the same as I had only more expensive. For NY the last I knew there were only two insurance co. that actually can insure in NY, so anyone that sells it, is really selling a policy for either of those two co. I would look at and contact your local farm bureau, that's were I previously got my bee insurance but as the number of farmers shrink, the dues got way to expensive. a write up by kellies, I didn't read it but will post it. https://www.kelleybees.com/blog/kell...ing-insurance/
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

If its just for the honey product, wouldn't basic business liability insurance cover you if someone got sick or found glass in the jar or something? Also, you may want to look into cottage food laws of your state if you don't want to register as a corporation, not sure how liability works with those.
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

Try "Beekeeping Insurance Services". I'm commercial, so I have a multi-peril policy.

Try these guys https://citadelus.com/ I just took a policy out with them. Email them and ask for a quote. Very responsive and professional.

The first thing I would do is become an LLC. We are in our other business and will do the same as this year is our first year to sell honey. Then you're personal possessions are protected.

I am a LLC, but they can try and break thru this protection by suing a person personally. In my line of work, I am in court a lot and anyone can file a lawsuit and even if you are dismissed out it costs a fortune to defend yourself. Insurance is a must. I finally found a policy and based on my research most beekeepers policies use the term "honey extracting". I do not believe general business liability policies cover us. It is very important and boring to read the policy as they are not all written to cover beekeeping regardless of what the agent tells you.