It pays to be 'out' to your friends, or at least neighbors whose names you don't know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It pays to be 'out' to your friends, or at least neighbors whose names you don't know

Just now, my wife yells up the steps and says there's a present for me. Apparently, my neighbor, whose name I haven't a clue (we're new here and only lived here 6-1/2 years so we don't know both our neighbors yet we are bad people) Sent over a pair of books. Apparently he saw me put out the bait hive in the disputed property between our homes (long interesting story there too... ) Thought I might find them interesting. I am going to have to learn their names. There is one daughter in the home that works at our Food Lion so I know here name (she wears a name tag.) But I haven't a clue anyone else in the whole house. I will definitely have to learn their names now...

books.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: It pays to be 'out' to your friends, or at least neighbors whose names you don't

Those are some ancient texts they've got there, would be interesting to see how they got a hold of them. I assume they just had them lying around instead of going out and getting them for you?
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

Default Re: It pays to be 'out' to your friends, or at least neighbors whose names you don't

They might have just earned themselves a jar of honey.

Oh yeah, a couple jars of honey are in order. Into Thoreau?

He just happened to have them. I haven't spoken to him yet but I am sure they just happened to have them. They both have Kelley's sticker in them. They are both at around the 1973 printing.

Some day I will have honey again and will make sure to share some. I think what they want is us to play Pickle Ball with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Oh yeah, a couple jars of honey are in order. Into Thoreau?
    Am I? Last think I ever remember was Thanatos <sp> and that was like grade or middle school a million years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    Am I? Last think I ever remember was Thanatos <sp> and that was like grade or middle school a million years ago
    Reallly? You have a "Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams" quote by HDT hanging on your wall. Oh, THAT Thoreau.

Cool score on the books.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I think what they want is us to play Pickle Ball with us.
    Ok, ya made me Google it. How is it that I have never heard of a game that is nearly as old as I am? I need to get out more.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

JW: I have never heard of it either. I was a little scared to google it. Never know what kids are up to these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Reallly? You have a "Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams" quote by HDT hanging on your wall. Oh, THAT Thoreau.

Cool score on the books.
    That wood cut print was a birthday gift from my daughter that she got from an Etsy artist. I like the quote, but never found out if it was just something he said or it was part of a poem or book. But I never read him seriously, other than when it was for a grade Honestly I never read much of him and am not all that familiar with his philosophy. Though, what I have read I did enjoy. So maybe someday, when all the people on earth are gone... and Oh, no ... not my only pair of glasses

One more thing for the list.

It's been around since 1965 and there is even an association for it. Funny thing I hadn't heard of it until last year, and never heard of anyone playing it until they said something about it... and they just had a whole episode on The Goldbergs about it... Who knew.. I guess it would be safer to play pickle ball than to get them to go shagging with us. I have no idea when social dancing will be safe again.

That wood cut print was a birthday gift from my daughter that she got from an Etsy artist. I like the quote, but never found out if it was just something he said or it was part of a poem or book. But I never read him seriously, other than when it was for a grade Honestly I never read much of him and am not all that familiar with his philosophy. Though, what I have read I did enjoy. So maybe someday, when all the people on earth are gone... and Oh, no ... not my only pair of glasses

One more thing for the list.
    Don't fall asleep in any bank vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    Don't fall asleep in any bank vaults.
    I debated trying to keep this going... I thought better of it, considering that it may be obscure references for many. Oldschool Fan though! I can still Rod's voice in my head from time to time.

Did we just go all Twilight Zone? I am a fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Did we just go all Twilight Zone? I am a fan too.
    It was heading that way

Pickle ball was invented on Bainbridge Island WA. I live and keep bees here. Fun game.

Just now, my wife yells up the steps and says there's a present for me. Apparently, my neighbor, whose name I haven't a clue (we're new here and only lived here 6-1/2 years so we don't know both our neighbors yet we are bad people) Sent over a pair of books. Apparently he saw me put out the bait hive in the disputed property between our homes (long interesting story there too... ) Thought I might find them interesting. I am going to have to learn their names. There is one daughter in the home that works at our Food Lion so I know here name (she wears a name tag.) But I haven't a clue anyone else in the whole house. I will definitely have to learn their names now...

books.jpg
    Both good books
    the one on the right was "ALL" I had for the my first 10 years of keeping, 75-85 no internet then.
    You are running out of reasons to not just get some bees........

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Both good books
    the one on the right was "ALL" I had for the my first 10 years of keeping, 75-85 no internet then.
    You are running out of reasons to not just get some bees........

GG
    Oh, I am getting some. I have spoken with a few local and some a little farther away in state. Just a matter of availability and moneys. Probably have them by April. Unless there are swarms on goldenrod.

I debated trying to keep this going... I thought better of it, considering that it may be obscure references for many. Oldschool Fan though! I can still Rod's voice in my head from time to time.
    I try to catch the old re-run marathons when they come up. They don't make them like that anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast