Queen Acceptance ??????

Default Queen Acceptance ??????

OK last week I made a split. Took three frames one full of brood 1 pollen and one honey. Shook a couple frames of bees in with the split. Left the queen in the parent hive. Introduced a mated queen on Thursday. Went to take a peek today notice the cage was empty. Looked at a couple frames saw a couple eggs but no queen. But there are three or four capped queen cells. Anyone have any clue what’s going on? Below is a link to a video of when I put the cage on top of the frames how the Bees acted when I first introduced her. I didn’t think they seemed aggressive but maybe I was wrong tell me what you think thanks. https://youtu.be/jBeoKo2mF0g

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Acceptance ??????

What day of the week did you make the split? If you waited too long, I would guess that they had committed to making their own.
    Hard to tell if they were being aggressive in the vid. Next time use your finger to brush them away to see if they are clinging to the cage. J

Made the split last Wednesday. Introduced the queen Friday morning. All the queen cells are higher up on the frames. None along the bottom. Not sure how there could be capped queen cells that fast???????

They must have already started the cells because it takes 8 days to cap. They might have been starting a supercedure. Check the parent hive. There may be cells in there too. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    They must have already started the cells because it takes 8 days to cap.
    From the time the egg was laid? What if the bees choose a 4 day old larva? 3 for the egg to hatch plus 4 more days. In that case we start at day 7. The following day....or maybe 2 days and the cell is capped. It happens fast....trust me.
    If you go to 4:24 in this video the photos were taken three days after the split....and a caged queen placed in the box at the time of the split.
    You may want to watch the entire video.....it might offer some ideas on getting mated queens accepted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYo_H9QiQM
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Beemandan, see Kevin's other post about doing a split. It appears that he missed some QC when he made the split so they were already making them IMO. Unless he is talking about a different hive. J

Man I wish I watched this video sooner. 99.9% sure there were no queen cells but who knows. Guess I am out $50. Late in the season but I will let them make there own queen and do what they want.

ok update. went in today eggs everywhere. Even saw the queen. But one thing i found confused me. The queen cell i found earlier in the week was still there and untouched. Why would they leave it????IMG_E4233.jpg
    Last edited by Sickdog5; 07-10-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    ok update. went in today eggs everywhere. Even saw the queen. But one thing i found confused me. The queen cell i found earlier in the week was still there and untouched. Why would they leave it????IMG_E4233.jpg
    Hard to tell from the picture angle, but it looks like an open cell to me - the tip is cut flat rather than being pointy. Anyway, even if it is capped it may be empty. If bees are not guarding it, then most likely there is nothing inside.

Quote Originally Posted by dekster View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture angle, but it looks like an open cell to me - the tip is cut flat rather than being pointy. Anyway, even if it is capped it may be empty. If bees are not guarding it, then most likely there is nothing inside.
    I was thinking the same thing. Tip looks a little funny. Since you have a laying queen and do not need another, there is no harm, except to a potential queen, in cutting it open to see. I suspect it is either a dead queen or an emerged one.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yeah thanks for all your help. I cut it down and opened it up there was definitely a queen in there. I’m just glad I didn’t waste the $50 on a mated queen. She is supposedly an ankle biter

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    Yeah thanks for all your help. I cut it down and opened it up there was definitely a queen in there. I’m just glad I didn’t waste the $50 on a mated queen. She is supposedly an ankle biter
    Yep, I've ordered a queen late and had her either killed or absconded. By the time you can confirm, you've lost too much time. Glad she made it!