Cleaning Honey Buckets

Default Cleaning Honey Buckets

What does everyone use for cleaning their honey buckets before use. I generally just use hot water and dish soap and then rinse several time and dry. I go to such a great extent to sanitize my jars, I wonder if my process is adequate. I do the same process for covers that are generally new but have some unused covers that are dirty from storage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cleaning Honey Buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    What does everyone use for cleaning their honey buckets before use. I generally just use hot water and dish soap and then rinse several time and dry. I go to such a great extent to sanitize my jars, I wonder if my process is adequate. I do the same process for covers that are generally new but have some unused covers that are dirty from storage.
    Some brands of dish soap have a very lingering scent. Hate when I get a whiff of it when I put a pan on the burner which I have made a point of rinsing as thoroughly as I could. Probably just a fetish with me Right now I am useing Dawn and it is tolerable. You used to be able to buy TSP (tri sodium phosphate) at the hardware store. Doesnt have any irrelevant smellies added. If they have been marked by rodent or cat urine, forgeddaboudit is the best solution.
    Frank

Plant based dish soap,hot water,rinsed thoroughly. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Plant based dish soap,hot water,rinsed thoroughly. J
    Examples? I know you want to stay clear of anything with a hint of hydrocarbon solvents. Some brands of dish soap claim to be "lemon fresh" or similar suggestions of "natural" but are the worst offenders of lingering after scent. Thymol is associated with plant (thyme) but usually is synthetically produced and it has a very pervasive odor. Mite treatments with it can taint honey.

Not trying to be difficult Are there brands that you would recommend?
    Frank

if the buckets have been in use for a while, pull the rubber in the top out and give it a clean, you would be amazed at what I have found up there. I use clorox bleach and let them air for a while.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Frank, we use Mrs. Myers and Seventh Generation cleaning products. Seventh Generation has non scented dish soap. J

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Some brands of dish soap have a very lingering scent. Hate when I get a whiff of it when I put a pan on the burner which I have made a point of rinsing as thoroughly as I could. Probably just a fetish with me Right now I am useing Dawn and it is tolerable. You used to be able to buy TSP (tri sodium phosphate) at the hardware store. Doesnt have any irrelevant smellies added. If they have been marked by rodent or cat urine, forgeddaboudit is the best solution.
    I think Dawn is the best all around and leaves very little if any scent. Palmolive I think is by far the worst. Not only does the smell linger, it has a sickly sweet scent that makes your whole sink area just feel dirty and nasty like something has died nearby. Ok, might be a little hyperbole, but we got a bottle not long ago and are struggling to get through it.

But as far as honey buckets, dish soap, hot water, and a final sanitize with bleach. A few min out in the sun and the bleach is gone. You don't need more than a touch of bleach anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus142 View Post
    But as far as honey buckets, dish soap, hot water, and a final sanitize with bleach. A few min out in the sun and the bleach is gone. You don't need more than a touch of bleach anyway.
    This is me too. I wash the buckets in Dawn with bleach added, followed by a fresh water rinse and air dry. Had to buy some Palmolive during the shortage and I hate the smell. Won't use it in the house now that I have Dawn again.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.