Keeping Bumble Bees for Honey? Any Bumble experts?

Default Keeping Bumble Bees for Honey? Any Bumble experts?

So, I was browsing some bee vids and came across some interesting native Australian stingless beekeepers. They used a very interesting method for making a honey super that was comprised of simply adding another box on top and connecting it with the main hive via a small hole. Like a queen excluder but based on the fact the the queen would not crawl up past the main nest but workers would. This created a super of sorts but for bees that build honey pots.

It just so happens that the other day my aunt claimed she had vicious Africanized honey bees and didn't know what to do. I came by and of course it wasn't even honey bees at all, typical bee call. It was bumble bees! I threw my suit on, grabbed the nest, and took them home. My question is, is it possible to utilize this same method to collect a bit of bumble honey? I was hoping a bumble bee expert might chime in on the possibility. I know it wouldn't produce much at all but I thought it may be fun to harvest a bit at the end of the season.

If not, at least I saved em from extermination

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, I think they are Bombus impatiens, so the colony could become large. At least by bumble bee standards anyway.
    Last edited by iesusko; 06-30-2020 at 09:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Keeping Bumble Bees for Honey? Any Bumble experts?

Bumble bees store no honey to speak of.
    They don't need to since the colony does not over-winter.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Default Re: Keeping Bumble Bees for Honey? Any Bumble experts?

https://badbeekeepingblog.com/2016/0...oney-for-sale/

This is the link that got me thinking about it.

I know they don't make winter stores but I thought the queen excluder might entice them to store something. That is, if it would even work on bumble bees. They do store nectar, just not much. I assume if the colony grew large enough there could be enough to at least have a taste by the end of summer. Just thought it could be fun to try. Though I do realize they don't usually have much if any surplus nectar. I am also not sure if they separate nectar and pollen or if they just throw it all in the same cell, like bee bread.