hive issues

Thread: hive issues

Default hive issues

In one hive I found yellow larvae still in the crescent shaped stage. I think they were 3rd to 4th stage instar. (forgot to write it down) That hive also has some cells with larvae and brood, but I noticed some cells have multiple eggs and others have one. Some eggs are hatching into worker cells and the eggs appear to be on the bottom of the cells, not the walls. I'm wondering if it is possibly a young queen and if it is safe to treat with OA in case of varroa. I thought I saw frass in two cells. Temps here are hitting the 90s. Another hive looks to have fully formed brood with the caps partially chewed off and then they died. I didn't see active chewing or movement. Populations in both hives is strong. suggestions?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: hive issues

3rd year 6a- I'm not aware of a temp requirement for OAV except for 37 minimum F. Young queens can take some time to get going. The multiple eggs should level off as long as she's properly mated. I would personally do a series of OAV because the mite risk more than offsets your queen risk.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Heather, OAV can be used at any ambient temperature above 40 I would give the bees a series of treatments as soon as possible. Let me know what your final honey poundage is. Getting close to 300# here with approx 16 production colonies. Still harvesting, so not sure of the final number. Some did not draw and fill supers at all and instead put all the honey in the upper deep brood box. Have not touched those yet.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

We pulled the honey off the hives of concern today and hopefully will have time to treat tomorrow. Those two had 20 frames capped. I'm running 9 frames in 10 frame boxes. Hopefully I can save them. The hives are currently at thriving population, but that is going to drop fast.

Pull the honey, treat for mites, and be ready for the dearth. I'd feed and pollen patty after pulling honey . I like he, and laldredge reccomendation. Maybe a young queen in there also. Treatments shouldn't hurt with o.a. it's not temp sensitive as others I'd say.

Repairing my OA wand and hope to head out today. I've heard conflicting this on OAV during heat, but since you southern guys have had good results even in heat, I'll assume mine can handle it.