2 Months in and this is what's happening.

Default 2 Months in and this is what's happening.

So I figured it might be time to put on a 2nd box so checked on them today this what Im seeing. They haven't built out the 3 frames closest to the end and you can see the middle frame doesn't look right. Any suggestions would be helpful to get back on track..Bees 1.jpgBees 2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2 Months in and this is what's happening.

Checkerboard in the thee un-built frames. The middle frame looks like it has detached comb drawn on it and bees are using cells that are behind that ear of comb. This usually happens when there is extra space between the combs and can happen when undrawn foundation is against undrawn foundation. The opposite face on the adjacent also gets drawn unevenly as a result. If you want to save that brood make sure the queen is not on that frame (she could be behind those ears of comb) and then cut away any of the detached comb and non-flat comb that does not have brood in it. Move that frame all the way to the outside and face the detached comb toward the hive wall. If you have a frame of honey/pollen/nectar then put that between this frame and the brood nest, just move this frame as far from the brood nest as you can locate it so the queen doesn't return to it. This may divide the brood nest but it is summer so you'll be OK to do this. After the brood emerges cut away the rest of the detached comb. Then place that frame between two drawn frames and push all the frames tightly together. If you don't want to save that brood then just remove all the detached comb now and feed it to the chickens. Some of that comb will be attached and flat and it can be left. You should always push your frames tightly together. Your frames are what are known as Hoffman self spacing frames. The flare at the top of the frame side bars sets the spacing of the frames at 35mm so make sure that the frames always touch. Any extra space should be left at the outside. As you gain more experience you can judge when to make space between frames, but for now just keep them all together tight.
    Zone 6B

Default Re: 2 Months in and this is what's happening.

JC - Thanks for that complete answer!. I'll get back in there tomorrow at noon and do that. I actually think the frame that's still in the in bees 1.jpg was the problem one. Will let you know after I get back in there.

Much appreciated!