need some advice about four frame nucs

Default need some advice about four frame nucs

I'm in southwest Ohio, so we're past the main flow but not in a dearth because of the blessed rain which is keeping the white clover going. I have two four frame nucs which are producing brood now, made with queen cells from another hive. I'd like to keep them around as resource nucs for the season. Just not sure - the queen can fill up the frames with eggs pretty quickly with only four frames and half of them being honey/pollen. Do I need to keep pulling frames of eggs/brood from these nucs to keep them from geytting overcrowded and swarming?

I'm unfamiliar with management of this kind of small nuc. Any advice appreciated, or even point me to other useful threads from this forum. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: need some advice about four frame nucs

I would consider adding a NUC box for a 4 over 4 setup.
    Michael has some UTubes on this idea, a good watch for ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgAMnIMlk1E

GG

Put another deck of frames above each one of them and get some more comb drawn. Even if only partially drawn it is very valuable.

If you start them early enough you can even super them.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Put another deck of frames above each one of them and get some more comb drawn. Even if only partially drawn it is very valuable.

If you start them early enough you can even super them.
    Those look great! Do you overwinter in those? If so, what configuration do you overwinter with?

Gary's references are very good. You can buy the 4-frame nuc boxes from Betterbee...and perhaps others. Mine come from Betterbee. www.betterbee.com. I am near Albany NY and a well stocked 4 over 4 overwinters very well here, so I am sure it will do well in Cincinnati. Just one note of caution, watch out for varroa. Do mite wash counts every 3 weeks beginning in July and treat as needed. If you don't want to do the mite washes, use one Apistan strip per nuc beginning the first week of August, and then an oxalic acid drip in December.
    Lloyd Spear

Quote Originally Posted by Titus142 View Post
    Those look great! Do you overwinter in those? If so, what configuration do you overwinter with?
    I just took the super off. They were working on it but it would have been much too late to cap. They winter well in that configuration but I left excess feed on them. I feed double 10 frame deeps to a target weight but dont know what is a reasonable weight for double or triple stacks of 4 frame nucs.

In cold climates they seem to draw the frames out full to the sidebars which they do not do (for me) in the 10 frame boxes until the second season.
    Frank