Whipping crystalized honey

Default Whipping crystalized honey

I've seen where it's possible to take crystalized honey and grind it with a mortar and pestal to make whipped honey. Is it possible to do the same thing using a blender? I know that normally you would take runny honey and ad starter (store bought whipped honey) but I'm hoping to just warm up my crystalized honey, put it in a blender, and let it set for about a week.

Thanks,
    Paul
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Whipping crystalized honey

Quote Originally Posted by paulmon View Post
    I've seen where it's possible to take crystalized honey and grind it with a mortar and pestal to make whipped honey. Is it possible to do the same thing using a blender? I know that normally you would take runny honey and ad starter (store bought whipped honey) but I'm hoping to just warm up my crystalized honey, put it in a blender, and let it set for about a week.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Whipping in air is a bad idea according to any well supported instructions. Creamed is a better term for honey that stays spreadable and is not gritty.

The crystals have to be crushed between two rubbing surfaces; the blades of a blender dont lend themselves to that.

I have done a bit with pestle and mortar but that is painfully slow. Home flour mills apparently will do the job but rather pricey.
    Frank

Ok then, I spent an hour and a half with mortar and pestle and finally got it. I see where Trevor at Trevor's Bees heats his crystalized honey for 48hrs at 100F and then mixes in the whipped honey to seed it. A lot easier!
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulmon View Post
    Ok then, I spent an hour and a half with mortar and pestle and finally got it. I see where Trevor at Trevor's Bees heats his crystalized honey for 48hrs at 100F and then mixes in the whipped honey to seed it. A lot easier!
    There is one problem the way you describe it: you must let the decrystallized warm honey cool down below 70F before adding your starter or you will dissolve the desired fine grain structure of the starter. Your grinding work would be for nought!
    Frank

Thanks. I was going to watch that video again. Hopefully I would have picked that up!
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com