Whelp, I now have 3 hives :waiting:

Default Whelp, I now have 3 hives :waiting:

For other New Beeks, BUY EXTRA BOXES AND FRAMES ! This is why...

I split my main hive on the 7th, so I have #0 & #1. Feeding them inside bins on top of an inner cover so they could draw out comb on the foundation-less frames faster. #1 Black Rectangle- got about 3/4 of the brood so they could have the #'s to build up for a new Queen.

#0 White Circle- got a QE over the bottom Deep and checkered some of those Honey frames up to another Deep so I would give her plenty of room to expand. But she had laid in the Medium Super before I did that so I moved them up above the inner cover (not feeding this hive now) and then a cover.
    I was thinking they would bring in honey/pollen through the upper entrance (pointing down to the 2nd Deep) that they were used to and also keep the brood going above it.
    They sure kept that Brood going because they build QC's Darn it !

Thank goodness I am an over buyer for things that WILL get used at some point.

I now have another Hive, #2 Pink Line- with 3 QC in it. Gave some bees, honey, Brood & syrup.
    And there seems to be a lot of drones in the hives too.

#1 is going like GANG Busters but I was not able to find the Queen as they were getting a bit pissy with me doing their hive last.
    #0 got the Queen marked, kinda. Hope it stays. I use gloves so I didn't want to squish her so had a holed cup and marker, got most of her thorax and part of her wing... and another bee friend lol
    #2 will have to just get bigger and wait for a day that rain is not in the forecast and I can move slower.

Worse comes to worse, I will combine back in. Hated to lose out on those QC as this Queen is a layer !

Here is today's messy pic, no I am not mowing as there was not enough rain and grass never grows well back there.
    From fence to Buckets
    #0 Wht Cir- Original Queen- Deep, QE, Deep, Medium, inner cover, cover.
    #2 Pink Line- 3 New QC's- Deep, Med (with QC's), inner cover, syrup feeder inside, cover.
    #1 Blk Rectangle- Deep, Deep, Med (some brood in here), Med (Honey, comb being drawn on some, not ripe), inner cover, syrup cover.

IMG_20200628_112658111[1].jpg
    -Linda

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Whelp, I now have 3 hives :waiting:

Is the awning for you or the bees?

Jon

The old adage "you can never have enough wooden ware" proves itself true once again. Cool that you were able to take advantage of the cells the bees made in the super.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Same here! Had my main hive getting big so I split, figured I’d put in a purchased mated queen. They rejected her because they’d already had about 10 queen cells on the go all on one frame. Took that frame out to another hive body, let the first split make its own queen and the 2nd split did the same. Checked yesterday, no more queen cells and eggs in both splits. And yes, I had built a bunch of hive bodies this spring, glad I did.

You always think you're done with woodenware until a hive raises a bunch of queen cells on half a dozen frames.....
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

The Sun Shades are for the The Spoiled Bees, and it SURE helps me too !
    It is unfortunate that I sweat like a little pig
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    The Sun Shades are for the The Spoiled Bees, and it SURE helps me too !
    It is unfortunate that I sweat like a little pig
    It is generally believed that bees do better in full sun, rather than shade. My limited experience doesn't prove that, but it sure doesn't refute it either. I would at least give partial sun.
    Last edited by bushpilot; 06-28-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Corrected last phrase
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

For strong honey production hives I like to have 5-6 deeps worth of equipment per colony (or equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    It is generally believed that bees do better in full sun, rather than shade.
    This is a truism for the South and areas where SHB are a problem. I think the bees prefer a partially shaded hive since that is what they choose when one is trying to trap them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

bushpilot, I helped a new beekeeper in my town earlier in the spring. She has her hives under some large shade trees in her yard. This was in late May. Both of her hives had lots of small hive beetles larvae.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    For strong honey production hives I like to have 5-6 deeps worth of equipment per colony (or equivalent).
    That is about where I am at, I shoot for 1 deep and 5-8 mediums per hive. I run a deep on bottom and stack mediums on top of that.
    3 Hives, Started in 2017, Learning as I go
    My data logger