A hint of vanilla flavor?

Default A hint of vanilla flavor?

This week our flow kicked into high gear after a wet spring. I was starting to think it wasn't going to happen!

Anyway, while adding supers, I scraped off a bit of burr comb, and popped it into my mouth. It was delicious like usual, but had a hint of a vanilla flavor to it, which was nice, but unusual. What nectar plants in the PNW might add a hint of vanilla to honey?

Before we go there, I am quite rural, so no chance of them getting into some candy syrup or anything like that.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A hint of vanilla flavor?

On this side of the continent, I would say Sumac.

Hmm, never seen sumac here, but there is a native variety.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

The propolis in my hives tend to have a vanilla and cinnamon flavor. I have no idea if that is typical, as I have never tasted propolis from any other source.

I wonder if there is a connection with the vanilla? There are cottonwoods that I think the bees forage for both nectar and resin.