Irritating Vegans - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Irritating Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    BTW: the grains were added to the human diet only 10K years ago - basically yesterday.

This raises a valid question, do the grains and beans even belong in the proper human diet?

Very well one can argue that the grains/beans don't even properly belong in our daily eat.

As well, one can argue that most modern deceases come from the excessive consumption of grain-based foods (ESPECIALLY refined grain-based foods. This is abnormal per the very basic human biology - human body is not really tuned well to consume lots of grain products.
    I am not 100% sure that is accurate. I think the time frame you are referring to is relative to "cultivated" grains and legumes. I would suppose in the hunter/gatherer aspect of life there had to be plenty of opportunity to gather all sorts of seeds, including grains and legumes. It was only when people learned to cultivate such things effectively that they were able to reduce the nomadic lifestyle and be able to stay put. At that point they had an effective food source and animal proteins could punctuate the diet rather than be the mainstay. I believe neanderthal had a major meat diet, and a good 5000 calorie daily requirement. Talk about an expensive lifestyle. Brain activity is predicated on sugar, in theory having access to a lot of caloric staples probably allowed lots of intelligence gains.

What gets most interesting is the choices we have made in cultivated foods vs "weeds". I don't remember if it was in "Stalking The Wild Asparagus" or possibly one of his other books that Euell Gibbons discusses just these aspects of how some things we consider weeds are as healthy if not more so that the foodstuffs that we chose to propagate for our chosen foods. So many things grow in the wild that could have become cultivars, but most of them very few people (Except maybe Bear Grills) will even ever know what they taste like.

In general, I have to believe you about refined grain, and most processed foods in general. The farther away from what it looked like when it was alive the less valuable it is to you. Originally, much of processing was to facilitate storage. Also leading to some dietary freedom because you didn't have to gather food for today's meals today. And later, for transportation, so you could sail the ocean and not have to grow and grind your food on the ship, or live on fish alone.

Interesting thing, however, white enriched flour. Since white bread became such a staple of the diet, flour was chosen as the vehicle for folic acid. This was done specifically so that the folates necessary to prevent neural tube defects in infants could be included in the diet. When the health conscious started eschewing white bread in favor of whole grain goodness (not required to be enriched) or avoiding white flour at all... has raised some issues with increasing instances of such things and how to get folic acid specifically back into the diets of modern women. Similarly we have iodine in our salt, quite necessary for thyroid function, and necessary for the thyroid hormones... but guess what all of the sudden they are demonizing salt, and people stop eating salt.

Anyway, such dietary issues, and the failures of the "we know better than you do" nanny state and their silly food pyramids and so forth are always a favorite topic of mine. Imagine that, you would think I would practice a much healthier diet than I do, and not have nearly the amount of avoidable issues..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    I am not 100% sure that is accurate. I think the time frame you are referring to is relative to "cultivated" grains and legumes. .....
    True - cultivated.
    Until that time the grains surely were mixed in too but in small amounts.

But upon the cultivation started, the proportion of the grain/bean in the diet overwhelmed anything else beyond any reasonable level.
    Our bodies were not really adapted to such change.

For example, tooth decay explosion beyond any reasonable level took place about 10K years ago - maps directly to diet change:
    ...roughly 10,000 years ago, humans learned to farm. Grain and other carbohydrates took over the plate, making the human mouth a haven for bacteria that destroy tooth enamel. Ancient farmers had cavities in up to 48% of their teeth, leading scientists to assume that a human jaw with lots of cavities probably came from a farming society.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ology/4307319/
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Absinthe, as soon as I started to read your story, I knew where it was going. Small white pellets, ammonium nitrate. I worked for Royster Clark back in the early 2000's. We had huge bins of the stuff that we loaded onto trucks with a skid steer loader. No problem to get a five gallon pail to take home for the garden sweet corn. I think it was 40-0-0.

With regards to Vegans, anyone know an OLD vegan? My wife may have seen a few middle aged ones at the hospital in which she works. I think she called them cadavers.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yep, that's the stuff.

Do the varroa add anything to it?
    I missed - the varroa are insignificant in any way and don't make it past the strainer anyway.
    In the batch I did yesterday I did not find a single varroa - a good sign.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Smile Re: Irritating Vegans

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a simply delightful person and everyone loves me. I certainly wouldn't do anything simply to irritate someone about their dietary choices. However, I have been known to upset the young vegetarian by discussing the origins of the rennet used in the cheese on the pizza they declare a staple in their diet. Not really intending to be mean, but "in for a penny, in for a pound" right?

Ah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the true believers! Many interesting comments here; however, I have no time to comment or even read all at this moment. The bees are calling.

I must say that I don't really give a rip about people's beliefs and lifestyle, so long as they don't try to impose it on me. Live and let live, I guess.

I do remember the young new found Christians who were convinced that I couldn't know God because...............well I wasn't one of them.

And I remember the skinny as a rail fellow who told me that one should only eat the fruit that the tree drops for you to eat. I said, what about broccolli? Could it be that its purpose here on earth is to provide us with food? I should add that mangoes and most other tropicals should be picked prior to their being fully ripe rather than allowed to ripen on the 'vine'.

Well, got to go. I hope you have enjoyed my contribution.

For fathers day i got a gibson guitar which I’m thrilled about, one of the selling points is that they use hide glue on the model (j-35). My argument for vegans is the exploitation and murder of the millions of yeast that go into their micro brews and wines, not much quality of life for the yeast.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    For fathers day i got a gibson guitar which I’m thrilled about, one of the selling points is that they use hide glue on the model (j-35). My argument for vegans is the exploitation and murder of the millions of yeast that go into their micro brews and wines, not much quality of life for the yeast.
    I have been thinking - every time I bake my home-made sough-dough loaf, billion and billions of little sough-dough culture creatures get baked alive. Sad, but a man gotta eat.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I have been thinking - every time I bake my home-made sough-dough loaf, billion and billions of little sough-dough culture creatures get baked alive. Sad, but a man gotta eat.
    right but when you add to your starter, millions of new creatures are created....

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    right but when you add to your starter, millions of new creatures are created....

GG
    Sure.
    Kill some.
    Raise some again.
    Pretty much as if I raise billions of microscopic sheep before I kill and eat them.
    I sleep well. LOL

You should look up JP Sears If Meat Eaters acted like Vegans on YouTube. Itís hilarious, and shows how silly some can be about it. 😅🤣

He is awesome and quite hillarious

So unaware of the consequences I went to the SS and asked where I could get some urea. Things got quiet and I started getting some looks. The person made a quick phone call, and a 3 piece suit manager comes from somewhere and says "Walk with me..."
    I went into our local Farmers Association supply store and picked up a bag of urea, 35-0-0. I knew there would be a security check so I was ready for it. When I went to check out the cashier handed me a form to fill out and took my DL and entered it into the computer. After I filled out the form she typed the info from it into the computer, and then she grilled me a list of questions about where I was going to use it and entered my answers. Finally she rang it up and said "Strip down." So I pulled my tee-shirt off, unbuckled, and started to remove my pants. She freaked out and started yelling "woah, woah, what are you doing?"

"You said strip down."

"Your credit card you idiot! Swipe it with the strip down."

Needless to say, I am not allowed in IFA anymore.
    Zone 6B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12