Honeybees for raspberry pollination.

Default Honeybees for raspberry pollination.

Are honeybees good raspberry pollinators? My vague memory is telling me that bumblebees are the primary pollinator.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honeybees for raspberry pollination.

Absolutely. Big contributor to the nectar flow in many places. J

I wouldn't have any honey near me if not for the Rubus flow!
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

Yup. Today the bumbles and the honey bees found my raspberries for the first time this year. I expect they will be all over them tomorrow.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Appreciate the information. I may try to cultivate a business relationship with a grower down the road. We already sell an item in his very popular farm style markets around the middle part of the state. Some of his properties look like potential prime locations for hives. Just need to have a conversation to find out where he is on chemical use. They do seem to prefer a more natural approach, but that could be just marketing. Could also turn into a venue to sell locally produced honey.

I just might plant a bunch of raspberries on another farm as well.

My hives abut my raspberries and most of the bees I see on the flowers are bumble bees.
    I would not plant raspberries solely for the blooms.
    A raspberry farm could make a nice beeyard providing it had good forage surrounding it and there was minimal chemical use.
    Instead of a pollination contract,I would stress mutual benefits and shoot for a year round yard.

You hit the nail on the head. The raspberry planting is on a monastery property , I may underwrite the cost as it will be a good potential income for them. It is the future site of our joint main apiary. We have been discussing fruit and berry planting layout. I am trying to convince them to quit mowing dozens of acres and plant many of the acres in bee forage. Looking at honey clover,(melilotus albus), and similar clovers as well as mid-Summer flowering plants. We are in agreement mostly, it just needs a comprehensive plan/layout so the property maintains a picturesque appearance.

I wasn't looking for a pollination contract re; the raspberry's, those just happen to be right near the market owners home. I am looking to develop a relationship with him were there could be a pollination contract with some of the fruits, berry, and vegetables he grows on (Guessing) more than a 1000 acres. This is secondary to maybe gaining access to a lot of river frontage woodlot/meadows as potential future bee yard locations. Our current business relationship has been growing, we are working to develop some items per his request for sale in his stores. Just looking at potential mutual benefits.

There are some plants where bumblebees do a much better job of pollination, because the flowers give off pollen more from vibration. Tomatoes are an example. It's possible berries fall into this category as well, though I'm only speculating. http://www.anneleonard.com/buzz-pollination

No idea about vibrations and pollination, but my bees were literally "swimming" around in poppies today. Never seen anything like it. Their pollen sacs were loaded so full they had a hard time taking off. J

Well, I guess don't really know which is better, but both the bumbles and honey bees really go for the raspberries, and I get lots of berries!
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.