Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do Queens keep growing?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JConnolly 
#1 ·
While checking one of my hives I find the Queen... but she's clearly bigger than when I first loaded the Package. And the thought crosses my mind - "Is this a different Queen?" Part of the question stemmed from the fact that she was missing almost all of the paint dot I had put on her as a new queen...so did she outgrow it or just rub it off?

I am curious if anyone knows do the Queens continue to get bigger even though they've already mated? And when does it stop if they do get bigger?

#2 ·
My take, maybe someone else knows better, but a queen that is caged and not laying will slim down a bunch. Once she is out of the cage and in full production mode, she will regain her full size.

Marking paint wears off and sometimes the bees clean it off. Recently sold a nuc that had a marked queen, well she was still marked the week before I sold it. On inspection the day of the sale, she was completely devoid of paint markings. Pretty certain it was the same queen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.