Woo Hoo Honey!

Thread: Woo Hoo Honey!

Default Woo Hoo Honey!

I'm in my third year, and it's been a wild ride. So far this year, after losing 2 of 3 colonies over the Winter, I had my first successful split, and after having my first swarm, I captured that swarm. Now I have 3 queenright colonies. #1, my original is a beast, it's unbelievable the bee population and how active they are. A month ago I put a honey super on #1, it was empty and about 50% built out. Two weeks ago it was empty. Yesterday on inspection it was 95% full of honey. The second deep on that hive must weigh 70 pounds. Bees are incredible!

I have so much to learn, and I hope I always do, but I finally feel like I know at least a couple things about this great hobby!

Thanks to all who have helped me, I couldn't be where I am without your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Woo Hoo Honey!

Congratulations!

Feels good, right? Congrats, J

I'm so envious, been a rough spring where I am. Bees havent finish filling the deeps yet, so I cannot put supers on.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Sorry to hear Hogback. I hope things get better for you.

I didn't mean to brag. In fact I had a challenging first couple years too, and I am sure there are more challenging times ahead. I just wanted to share my good news with the board that has helped me so much.

No worries Alan, I am always happy to hear of others successes! Hey, if you've done it, it aint bragging!

I was able to split 2 hives a couple of years ago, successfully, I know how ya feel, it's a good feeling. Like a milestone, another step to becoming a REAL beekeeper, and not a beehaver. This year, I too, lost 1 hive over winter. I split one of my hives in April that had a bunch of swarm cells. Took the old queen, some larva, bunch of capped brood, and made a new hive with them. So far they are doing well, and the donor hive has not swarmed. Last inspection I did, I was able to find and catch the new queen in the 'donor' hive. And, I feel like a real beekeeper now after 6 years, I caught her with my fingers, held her in my fingers and marked her, nervous as all get out the entire time. In the past I'd used a 'one handed queen catcher', but I had a hard time with it, and was worried I'd injure a queen. I'd recently ordered 2 queen clips, so after marking her I placed her in the clip to dry. Now I'm back up to 4 hives, and am thinking, maybe I need to expand my apiary. So maybe next year I'll split 2 hives again. I'll have to decide if I want to purchase queens or let them make their own. Take care, and enjoy!
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.