EFB is a major pain, but it's easily treatable. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: EFB is a major pain, but it's easily treatable.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Just because "everyone" has EFB doesn't make it acceptable.
    If it always just went away by itself when the flow started, or with a queen replacement, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Warm weather would do it it it like we famously heard too. Maybe when caught in the first stages before bee bread is all contaminated it might be easier to shed.

Experience in EU countries shows that there are a number of various strains with slightly different symptoms and varying degree of transmission and drug resistance. Ideopathic brood disease also confuses issues.

I think quite a few people are being too complacent about it so I expect things will get worse before the entire reality forces some stronger measures.
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    If it always just went away by itself when the flow started, or with a queen replacement, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Warm weather would do it it it like we famously heard too. Maybe when caught in the first stages before bee bread is all contaminated it might be easier to shed.

Experience in EU countries shows that there are a number of various strains with slightly different symptoms and varying degree of transmission and drug resistance. Ideopathic brood disease also confuses issues.

I think quite a few people are being too complacent about it so I expect things will get worse before the entire reality forces some stronger measures.
    Aggressive OTC treatment is the only method that I've found to work.

It's incredibly contagious and infects nearby colonies like clockwork.

frank
    Experience in EU countries shows that there are a number of various strains with slightly different symptoms and varying degree of transmission and drug resistance.
    This, along with many other stressors not directly related to actual EFB.

I have read some bigger operations that see it do not rely on antibiotic treatment but also that some strains can be more devastating then others.

Some of the European studies seem to bear this out also.

One thing is for sure, what affected you and squarepeg was not a benign disease.

I do believe randy oliver has not resorted to antibiotic treatment very often on cases he has seen. Unless I am miss characterizing some of his comments.

Cheers
    gww

Ps I am still not sure with what I am dealing with in my hives and what the outcome will be but do know some of it is not going to be good but I don't know how bad either yet.
    zone 5b

This is strictly a guess but I am thinking that different local conditons and different management potentially affects pollen stores. If the bee bread gets infected it can remain infective for more than a year. If it gets abandoned and you treat with OTC symptoms go away but a dearth or stress could result in the bees having to dig into those old stores, and it gets back into circulation. My frames were typically riddled with areas of stagnant crystallized stores and pollen and often an interrupted laying pattern as a result. Only when newly drawn combs were brought into the brood nest did I get nice patterns. That despite mite counts being ~Zero.

Sampling has shown that EFB is detectable in a high percentage of colonies but maybe like is with AFB a certain threshold is necessary for it to go rogue. Dunno!

Thus the advice that it is caused by stress. In any case after sitting on the old frames for a long while, I trashed them. There is such disagreement between experienced people that I think somewhere we are missing something.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Just because "everyone" has EFB doesn't make it acceptable.
    I don't think he was saying it was acceptable as much as he was working the whole state of Tennessee, inspecting hives everyday early spring that were probably seeing the same thing. I'm sure he has seen efb before and in his experence it was more to do with a poor queen or lack of a good flow which was starting to pick up but to me seemed sure it would clear up. I honestly didnt ask him much besides what I needed to do. But This is what my areas TBA southeast VP wrote in early April in our newsletter. "As of this writing, it is raining again. This winter has been one of the wettest on record in East TN. March and April appears to be wet also. This is very concerning to me with the warming temperatures and our bees beginning to brood up, we are having cool temperatures at night. This could bring on problems like European Foul Brood, Noxema, Chalkbrood, and starvation. We need to keep a close eye out for these problems. Call your local inspector if you have a problem. Definitely feed the hives that are low on stores."
    So people around here know it is a problem and warned us to keep and eye out in the newsletter. Sorry I just didnt want anyone to think I was saying he said it wasnt a big deal that is more the way I took it that this isnt the first time most experienced beekeepers in my area have seen efb and thats how they deal with it here. maybe not the best thing but idk if otc is a long-term solution either if its that common in my area.

I don't think it's wise to be remotely complacent about an EFB outbreak.

My inspector in PA diagnosed my colonies with EFB and told me to treat with OTC.
    Last edited by username00101; 06-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12