Can anyone explain this?

Default Can anyone explain this?

I saw a bee floating in a puddle not far from my hive. So I gently picked her up and placed her back on the bottom board of the hive. She crawled back to the entrance where a few bees greeted her and one seemed like it was helping her clean herself. However another bee came and picked her up and flew off into the grass with her. I'm very curious as to what exactly happened. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can anyone explain this?

Overly zealous guard bee. Your bee probably no longer had the hive smell and was viewed as a foreign bee. On a similar note, my hives are actively removing the drones and that includes dragging them off of the bottom board into the grass.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

awwww That is so sad.
    I keep picking up the ones that don't quiet make it to the landing pad ♥
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Overly zealous guard bee. Your bee probably no longer had the hive smell and was viewed as a foreign bee. On a similar note, my hives are actively removing the drones and that includes dragging them off of the bottom board into the grass.
    That makes sense. I've seen a similar thing happening with my drones as well. I watched one enter the hive only to be immediately chased back out.

I think the bees may drive off ones with some of the viruses. They sense the bee is a hazard, so off with ye and die somewhere else!
    Frank

Ever see one zealously clean a young bee? I mean like a Mother cleaning up a rumpled 7 y/o boy outside the Church doors at Sunday mass ! lol
    I have seen this the last 2 days on 2 bees. Just wonder if it is a NEW entry sentry who wants to baby the young bees
    -Linda

It's always possible that the bee that just carried her off into the long grass was the bee that dropped her in the puddle in the first place ...

She's probably thinking "memo to self - take 'em much further away in future".
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    Ever see one zealously clean a young bee? I mean like a Mother cleaning up a rumpled 7 y/o boy outside the Church doors at Sunday mass ! lol
    I have seen this the last 2 days on 2 bees. Just wonder if it is a NEW entry sentry who wants to baby the young bees
    That sounds adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    It's always possible that the bee that just carried her off into the long grass was the bee that dropped her in the puddle in the first place ...

She's probably thinking "memo to self - take 'em much further away in future".
    LJ
    I guess that's true. She succeeded in taking her further, that's for sure.

I noticed a bee drag a drone out of a hive yesterday. Chucked him off the landing board. Why are they doing this? I knew they kick them out in the fall but didn't realize they are kicked out now. Is it something like, "Quit laying around raiding the fridge, get out and meet some girls" (knowing full well if he is 'lucky', it ain't gonna be fun for long) In other words part of mating behavior? And is it known that this is behavior in a hive preparing to swarm?
    Last edited by Trin; 05-31-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Trin, I have no evidence to corroborate this, but my belief is that the bees kicking the drones out in late spring is a sign that the swarming urge has passed. They will maintain a much smaller drone population from now until fall, at which piont it will really stink to be a male bee.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Well, were I live the swarming season seems to have just started. At least I caught one 2 days ago, and 2 of my friends caught one each a day or so earlier. They live 8-10 miles from me. The only time I have previously noticed swarms in Michigan has been late May and 2 weeks into June or so. Nothing scientific about the observation. I missed one swarm that I am guessing was quite early this year. The bees are still soft and flexible. They clearly starved to death, shrunken abdomens and noses into empty cells. They flew in, built some comb and died. So maybe swarmed before there was much blooming? I haven't pulled apart the combs to see if there are any signs of brood rearing. I had 4 dark comb frames and they built very clean looking comb on the bottoms and out one side.

I used to spend a lot of time in the woods and fields where I live. I am constantly scanning for bugs and plants because as the son of an entomologist I spent 6 weeks per year in the field at least. This is how he trained all of us kids.

So I noticed that I didn't see honey bees much at all. Sometimes 1 or 2, but nothing like the old days. I was under the impression that there simply aren't many feral hives in my area. I expect there may not be for a few miles, but I guess it's kind of a checker board population wise, with swarms spiking populations in an area and then mostly dying out. Tree hive I have found have all been 1 year events.

I'm glad to see a renewed interest in BK among locals. I have been trying to locate area BK just out of curiosity. It might prove worthy in making casual suggestions on best management practices although I have a long way to go learning that. Regardless of management philosophy's, We can do something to promote BK.

Thanks for your input. I have many an hour of observation ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    I have thought about filming the landing board so I can slow it down and better see behavior. I notice a lot of leg rubbing on the abdomen. One video I watched had a lot of this and because it was slowed down you could see the varroa mites on the abdomens of the bees. I actually saw one get rubbed off. There were several mites laying on the landing board. Frankly the hive had to be infested. Glad it wasn't mine.

Hygienic behavior is good, however a mite bit bee is a dead bee. So I'm not sure if breeding for this behavior is a workable solution. Exponential mite population growth unchecked most likely means a dead out. So I don't think it economical to go that route. Just my understanding and opinion.

If you haven't watched it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2Xi0ST4rA

All the same they are fascinating to watch. If only they could talk to us.