Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Incubator temperature

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
I have cells in my incubator I keep it at 93 degrees the power went out this morning and just came back on the temperature dropped to 81 degrees how much of an issue do you think this will be I am guessing it was not at this temp for very long less than one hour any thoughts would be appreciated

#2 ·
Where is the temperature sensor located? Likely sensing air temperature and not in or on the cells. Thus the cells are warmer. It takes time to cool off a mass like an egg which is also generating some heat. It does seems like a fast temperature drop for an incubator which has lost power for one hour. Elapsed time is important in a negative way.

From what I read - chilling brood is not good. The typical values I have read about for brood rearing is 93-95F @ 55% RH. When I move brood cells I pre-heat the foam container with a hot water to 95F bottle - works well for awhile.

#3 ·
the actual loss of temp was over three hours give or take the last hour or so is when it was getting into the low 80's the temp probe is hanging right next to the graft frame. the grafts were capped over two days ago they should emerge on 6/2 never had the power go out in the summer with cells in the incubator I remembered them about 5 minutes before the power came back on

#4 ·
You don’t mention their maturity but I wouldn’t be overly concerned especially since it was only a few hours. If they were over heated that would be much worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.