AI Root extractor

Default AI Root extractor

New beek here and an extractor was way far down on my wish list. However, found out an old friend from the 80s had got into and back out of beekeeping. Last weekend bought a pickup load of beekeeping equipment. Including a hand cranked 4 deep / 8 shallow, tangential AI Root extractor. Hoping it can be adapted to use with mediums? Some stainless clips or something to hold them in place.

Old, he had bought it used about 20 years ago, but new enough that it is mostly stainless. Would have passed on a galvanized antique. Searched a bit here and learned some pre 80s extractors used lead based solder. May need to pick up a lead test kit.

Small foil label on the top bar has "No 0920" embossed but think this is likely a serial number rather than model since it gets zero hits on Google. Rest of that label has been cleaned too many times to read. Label on the front is still in great shape. Picture below, could the three factory locations be a clue to the age?

Some 'slop' in the shaft that holds the crank handle. Looks to pass through a pressed in flanged bushing. Possibly easily replaceable, if I can remove the bushing from the top. If not, might have to also disassemble the other shaft that holds the basket. It has a spur gear on top and what I hope is just an open face (no seal) ball bearing. Not wanting to mess with it until I know a bit more.

Also looking for recommendations on a food safe grease for the gears and bearing. Even if I do not disassemble it now, want to thoroughly clean and re-grease the wear parts.
    20200517_151556_1.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: AI Root extractor

Do you have any pictures of the rest of the extractor? I don't know anything about old extractors, but I suspect that would also be useful information to add.

A few, oddly never took one of the whole extractor.inside_1.jpggears_1.jpg

One more picture. Diameter is 20" hight of tub portion is 24".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tin-lead "Soldered" or Silver brazed? Trying to use a "lead scanner" used in lead-free home verification. It might be an easy, useful method. The bottom pan and fittings? Sampling a small amount and identifying the melting point and some chemical analysis might be usefull. Or simply seal it with something. Try asking AI ROOT Co. if they have history records.

Side comment - Fun project but if you are going to have a number of hives, say 10, I suggest you save your arm and get an electrical drive adapted to it or buy a new, bigger unit.

Used 'solder' in the generic, could easily be braze. Very neat and professionally done in either case. If it does turn out to contain lead I'm hoping it can be covered. Does Camcote stick to stainless? Honey gate is plastic so is likely not original.

Surprised to see AI Root is still in business. Though apparently only candles... And yes, motorizing it has crossed my mind. No hurry as it will not be used this year even in hand crank mode. Any harvest this year will be just a few frames to taste. Even bought a case of tiny 1 1/2 OZ hex jars.