Preponderance capped brood necessarily leading to swarm? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hope that you all are willing to indulge me in a little thinking out loud as I try to figure all this out.. Here’s a link to a video of the operation https://youtu.be/5b5NMrsh7aE
    I would love to know what you all think about this. I had a bunch of bees bearding or festooning on the front of the hive after all of the crazy manipulations were done. It occurs to me that those were nurse bees that hadn’t flown out of the hive yet -must’ve fallen around the hive because it was so crowded. As recommended, I gave it an hour for the nurse bees to make their way back up to the brood up top, But they would’ve had to navigate through a few supers which already are getting pretty packed with honey. I’m remembering that last year or the year before I tried Snellgrove manipulation and it failed - I think it’s because I did not end up getting a critical mass of bees above the board. So I wonder how I can tell after a week if I am going to have a flyable population above the board – that is whether the majority of nurse bees made their way back up there. It seems entirely possible that a large portion of the nurse bees just hung out downstairs after all these manipulations were done. Though there’s a lot of capped brood above so even if current nurse bees didn’t get up there, there will be reinforcements soon.
    Last edited by karenarnett; 05-25-2020 at 12:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Preponderance capped brood necessarily leading to swarm?

I wait two days to place the Snelgrove Boards after the QEs are placed.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by karenarnett View Post
    Saltybee, Please say more. When you say you lost a similar Bet, does that mean they swarmed after all? I’m not clear because it sounds like you’re saying also that the bees tore down queen cells- So did they stay or go?
    sorry to be slow, I did not see post. All indications are that the original queen did swarm. Still a lot of bees and I found no more QCs. If I was not looking for intentionally started cells I probably would never have known the difference.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Wow. Maybe I need to go back and bother them one more time. And take off the Snellgrove. Really hate to intrude again since it was such a marathon intrusion earlier. But I do worry a little bit about whether enough nurse bees got up there. I don’t know if they’ll abscond if I keep bugging them.

I think would open the lid and look. If you see there are not enough Nurse bees then you could remove the Snelgrove Board, but I wouldn't if it is not necessary.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Done. It was quick and not too disruptive. The bees are busy so it looks like it didn’t set them back a whole lot. Probably because there’s a good nectar flow they just got right back to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12