I hope that you all are willing to indulge me in a little thinking out loud as I try to figure all this out.. Here’s a link to a video of the operation https://youtu.be/5b5NMrsh7aE
I would love to know what you all think about this. I had a bunch of bees bearding or festooning on the front of the hive after all of the crazy manipulations were done. It occurs to me that those were nurse bees that hadn’t flown out of the hive yet -must’ve fallen around the hive because it was so crowded. As recommended, I gave it an hour for the nurse bees to make their way back up to the brood up top, But they would’ve had to navigate through a few supers which already are getting pretty packed with honey. I’m remembering that last year or the year before I tried Snellgrove manipulation and it failed - I think it’s because I did not end up getting a critical mass of bees above the board. So I wonder how I can tell after a week if I am going to have a flyable population above the board – that is whether the majority of nurse bees made their way back up there. It seems entirely possible that a large portion of the nurse bees just hung out downstairs after all these manipulations were done. Though there’s a lot of capped brood above so even if current nurse bees didn’t get up there, there will be reinforcements soon.