Tool bucket replacement ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tool bucket replacement ideas

900E82F1-D17A-4850-B333-F0AE1155B113.jpgIíve used a 5 gallon bucket with a Craftsman canvas tool holding compartment thing that pulls down over the bucket. Itís probably 10 years old. The pockets are mostly torn on the bottoms and stuff falls thru. I donít see anything at Lowes that I like the looks of. Home Depot has some sort of hard sided a Husky portable tool box things but none of them looks to be worth $60. So for carrying all your stuff from your truck to the hives, what have you found that meets the need?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tool bucket replacement ideas

Not sure why this photo rotated when I imported it. Coaching appr3ciated in case I do this again.

Boy what a great question. I’m super fussy about my setup around my hives. Right now carrying my smoker along with a quiet box loaded with cover cloths and frames. It has magnets on the outside to hold tools. Just a modified nuc box that requires basic carpentry skills. I may also carry a light tote. But my apiary is at my house so if I need to go back to my work bench its not a big deal. Also use a Paul Kelly Bee Belt that’s super handy.

I have a newer version of what you have made by Husky for my tools. Too heavy for bee use. This is a really good time to reconsider what you have and why you have it.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode1891 View Post
    So for carrying all your stuff from your truck to the hives, what have you found that meets the need?
    Buckets from cat food (with attached lids and handles) - free from the road side.
    Well used backpacks ("hand downs" from my kids) - also free.
    If anything, the backpacks are meant to carry stuff and they have compartments and pockets.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I have horses, so when I got my bees, I started using something I already had:tote box.jpg
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I use this.. it holds everything(except frames) I think I would need for the beeyard.. my bee yard is an hour away from me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I prefer the 5 gallon bucket with the bucket organizer sold by Mann Lake https://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepe...cket-organizer.
    The only bad thing about it is that it raises the center of gravity and it tips over when travelling. I solved this by carrying a 5 lb weight at the bottom of the bucket. It works very well and I no longer have to dig through a bucket to find a tool.

I use a sturdy foldable tote for groceries, nice handles, big enough to put frames in. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX679_.jpg
    Light weight, can fold away in my shed. I found buckets to be useless-most bee hive parts don’t fit.

Plastic grocery store totes and a Mann Lake bucket boss that I won at the bee club raffle.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

5 gallon bucket, without the organizer.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

catch day.jpg
    My take on the classic hive seat with a lowered center of gravity so it doesn't tip over in the back of the truck.
    The original was from the 1901 edition of ABC of Bee Culture
    RJF3C1.jpg
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

University of guelph has a diagram/schematics for a stool/tool box. Seems handy

Iíve used a 5 gallon bucket with a Craftsman canvas tool holding compartment thing that pulls down over the bucket. ... So for carrying all your stuff from your truck to the hives, what have you found that meets the need?
    No sneering please :-) Available at Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...zer-94868.html

My bee truck.

900E82F1-D17A-4850-B333-F0AE1155B113.jpgI’ve used a 5 gallon bucket with a Craftsman canvas tool holding compartment thing that pulls down over the bucket. It’s probably 10 years old. The pockets are mostly torn on the bottoms and stuff falls thru. I don’t see anything at Lowes that I like the looks of. Home Depot has some sort of hard sided a Husky portable tool box things but none of them looks to be worth $60. So for carrying all your stuff from your truck to the hives, what have you found that meets the need?
    empty 5 gall bucket, usually free. I have spent 0$ in 20 years of tool carrying devices for bee keepers.

Sorry Ode do not over think this.

GG

Or if you want something that you can pull that folds up.
    I have those wagons I got from Costco or they have at BJ's/Walmart ?
    https://www.bjs.com/product/portal-f...00000001832251
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seina-SUW...kets/303982881
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    catch day.jpg
    My take on the classic hive seat with a lowered center of gravity so it doesn't tip over in the back of the truck.
    The original was from the 1901 edition of ABC of Bee Culture
    RJF3C1.jpg
    That's cool, MSL- reminds me of a farrier's tool box- good idea.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by ddjd412 View Post
    University of guelph has a diagram/schematics for a stool/tool box. Seems handy
    Here's the link- looks to be along the lines of the photo that MSL posted:

https://honeybee.uoguelph.ca/resourc...rs/hive-stool/
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Not the best photo of it but this is a box I made myself. Kinda based on a Merrill box out of 1/2 pine.
    It is about the size of a 6 frame nuc. Inside I have frame rest spaced with nails to hold 4 frames and I made brackets to hold two hive tools and store other stuff in the space left. It also has metal brackets on the front to hold my smoker. In this pic it is hauling home a split I had to make in a rush with no equipment on hand.
    The handle is a doubles piece of rope that I can unsnap and use as a shoulder strap if I need to walk a long distance with it. Sometimes access to my hives sucks after lots of rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

By coincidence we formerly used the 5 gallon bucket with a fabric tool caddy as part of our kit for cleaning machines in my business. I got tired of the inefficiency of workers digging around in the bucket for tools and mostly because they quickly became a nasty soiled mess, both inside and out.

Considering that some BK might want the option of easy washing and sanitizing, and some BK will sanitize tools between each hive or yards. I might just make a tool caddy for my beekeeping, same process I currently use to make aluminum tool caddies with magnet tool holders, bays for specialized tools and easily removable bins for rags. I think the change saves us something in the neighborhood of 20 min/day per employee. That's a lot of money over a year and they really liked the change. Cleaning them is a breeze.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I will have to weld one up and it will have a stool/seat as part of it. My back will thank me. I really like the uses for neodymium magnets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast